Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a stock in the ESPP account. It was purchased in 95-96, so it is a long term holding, purchased over time with the same dollar amount every month. I have all records of all purchases (also involves partial shares). To get access to the shares I had to get a cerificate for all of them. I also have charity commitment and enough cash to fulfill it. But I wanted to donate appreciated stock described above and then use cash to replace donated shares, to bump up my cost basis. How do I identify for tax purposes the shares I give to charity (incidently, FIFO rule will identify the lowest price shares, which is what would be the best to donate).
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.