Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jmrube01 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121182  
Subject: Splitting Mortgage Interest Credit Date: 3/29/2000 11:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've checked FAQ's, the 1040 instructions, and form 504 and can't really find a definitive answer to my question.

The question is do I have to share the MI credit with my ex-wife if she made no payments on the mortgage during 1999? She moved out actually in 98 and made no payments for the last four months of 98. There is nothing specified in our settlement agreement regarding the dispersion of the MI credit. The settlement states that I, as the petitioner, "shall retain the residence" and "will list it for sale within a reasonable period of time". It goes on to clarify the distribution of the proceeds from the sale of the property (I retain the first $18000 then any over that would go towards shared debts and split anything else remaining).

On the 1098 form there is verbage that would seem to support my arguement, something to the effect of if there is more than one persons name on the mortgage you are only entitled to that portion of the interest which you actually paid. I couldn't really find anything in the 1040 instructions. In form 504 there is a passage that made it sound like if I had made payments on her behalf that that could be considered alimony.

So, I see the resolution to this in one of three possible ways. 1) Since she was legally the co-owner of the property I have to split the credit. 2) Since she made no payments on the mortgage she is entitled to none of the credit. 3) The payments I made on her behalf would be considered alimony which she would need to claim as income. I, in turn, would then be able to deduct the alimony and we would split the credit.

Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement