Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I will preface this by saying that I really enjoyed the first two movies. While Reloaded didn't seem to be too popular over on the movies board, I thought it had great action sequences and interesting characters (Merovingian and the vampires for example). I also thought the philosophical and religious references added some depth to the movie which distinguishes it from the straightforward Jackie Chan/VanDamme/Seagal/etc action flick.

So it was with some anticipation that I saw Revolutions last night. And I'll have to say that I don't think it is a very good movie.

The death of Gloria Foster (The Oracle) really hurts Revolutions. They had to recast the character and the new actress falls flat. I know there is nothing that could be done about this, but at the same time it impacts the film when a vibrant and interesting character becomes bland and boring.

Revolutions is a mess. I don't know if it is a problem with the script or the editing but it is a jumbled mass of scenes. In the first two movies I felt they were pretty tight and that there was a minimum of superfluous dialogue and scenes. That is definitely not the case in Revolutions. There are several scenes that just don't seem to have a point. Unless it requies having seen the Animatrix to understand the background. Or maybe the purpose is to set up yet another sequel.

Revolutions focuses on the wrong characters. One of the reasons Reloaded worked was because it had some great characters that were interesting. Not the case in Revolutions. Too much focus on characters that are hard to get interested in. Definitely not enough Persephone (Monica Bellucci), though she really "stands out" <cough, cough> when she is in the movie.

I'll wrap up by saying the actors looked sick of playing these roles. Understandable but not good.

If I had to rate the movies I would say:

Matrix: 10 out of 10
Reloaded: 8/9 out of 10
Revolutions: 3 out of 10
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement