UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Student Loans, Consumer Debt, & Savings, OH Date: 2/20/2014 11:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Spoken as someone who was able to work for a summer to earn enough to pay for a year's worth of college. Oh the good old days! My entire bill for 18 hours of classes my first semester in college was less than $300.

WOW! How I remember those days!! I graduated high school in 1967 with a B average, except that I made As in Math. I commuted to Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville, IL from my Parents' home for %80.50 per quarter for a "full load" (16-18 hours) quarterly - basically, 4 courses, plus maybe something like a bowling "course" for an extra hour - Ya needs, a little, pass time, though I am quite sure that I will never become a professional bowler. At the time it was, pretty much, a 2-edge sword - Either do well in college, with a student deferment from the war in Viet Nam and have a chance at a decent job, or get drafted and go to Viet Nam. I chose the former. A LOT of guys I went to high school with that went to SIU got drafted - A close friend and neighbor got drafted into the 101st Airborne Division of the Army, served on many of the HOT fire bases in Viet Nam and came back with a Silver Star, a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart and 2 Clusters. I am glad that he made it back alive, and so is he - though relieved is probably a better word, I suspect, from his experiences and perspective.

Anyway, I made the Dean's List every quarter, got nominate to the colleges Dean's College - Required a 4.5 Grade Point Average (out of 5) and recommendations from 5 faculty members - I sucked up, BIG TIME, you best believe, as much because I didn't want to take Biology 2, as much as anything. <g> Instead, I got to study directly under PhDs/CPAs, including a retired Arthur Anderson Tax Partner (back when AA had a Great rep, as did the prof, who held both a CPA Certificate and was a member of the Bar - Really great guy, and his stories of his experiences representing astute clients and challenging the IRS were enjoyable to listen to.

By my last year in college, tuition (including book rental) at SIU-E was up to $110.50/quarter - Arguably, with little doubt, one of the best bargains that I've enjoyed in my life! I graduated with honors from the schools Dean's College with offers to work for Price Waterhouse, Touche Ross and S.D. Leidesdorf - pretty flattering, and I got a chance to meat a LOT of very sharp people in interviews for those job offers - I knew more about Insurance though, having grown up with it in my family's business from my age of 10, and I didn't stay awake as much and didn't throw up as much from tension...

In an interim interview at PW, I waited in the lobby to meet with their HR guy, where I spoke with a junior auditor who told me that he had worked 5 straight days with 5 (total) hours sleep - That was in January, which was the start of year-end audits, and he looked like he weren't lying, him.

Bob

It's getting late - I didn't edit... Sorry if I made some mistakes in not doing so.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement