Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1653  
Subject: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need some advice. I started a walking program over 2 months ago and lost nearly 20 pounds....yay. I also cut back on food quantities. I've lost a lot of weight in my legs, back, butt, arms and even my face but not my stomach. I've had to take in all my pants about 2 inches on each side all the way up to my hips but not to my waist as it's still the same so I actually look fatter. People see me walk everyday and ask...so have you lost anything? I look pregnant right now and it's embarrassing. I've been told you can't spot lose so I'm not sure what to do. I've always been thick waisted no matter my size. Any suggestions besides sit ups as I'm already doing this.

Thanks,
Kathy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 835 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I need some advice. I started a walking program over 2 months ago and lost nearly 20 pounds....yay. I also cut back on food quantities. I've lost a lot of weight in my legs, back, butt, arms and even my face but not my stomach. I've had to take in all my pants about 2 inches on each side all the way up to my hips but not to my waist as it's still the same so I actually look fatter. People see me walk everyday and ask...so have you lost anything? I look pregnant right now and it's embarrassing. I've been told you can't spot lose so I'm not sure what to do. I've always been thick waisted no matter my size. Any suggestions besides sit ups as I'm already doing this.

Well, since I can't reccomend sit ups, no. ;)

You probably have a good store of fat on your belly, which takes longer to get rid of (but is oh so easy to gain). There are two things which effectively help get rid of this chubbiness:

1) Weight loss
2) Sit ups (crunches)

I know, I know, you are already DOING that. Maybe you can ramp up the walking a bit, either doing more of it or a harder intensity (to burn more fat)? You might also consider lifting weights: more muscle means more fat burn, even when you aren't working out. I just keep a nice set of dumbbells around the house for weight lifting, you don't have to get too fancy.

As far as the crunches/sit ups, maybe you could try a new approach? Instead of regular ones, maybe you could invest in a workout tape for abs? I have The Firm Abs one, and prefer doing it to working out on my own. An exercise ball is also nice, as it makes you isolate and target abs while you are crunching.

I think, though, that your success will lie in a combo of both paragraphs, with a heavy emphasis on #1. Sometimes you hit a platuea, and just need to change things up a bit. The weightlifting would give you noticeable changes in two or three weeks, if done 3 times a week, and start the weight loss back in earnest (including the stubborn tummy).

impolite

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 836 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 3:48 PM
Well I'm losing weight no problem, in fact I'm losing faster than I thought I could just not in my tummy. I'm a big girl (5'5" 205lbs)so I'm limited to what I can do. I have Denise Austins Ab tape (damn her!!!! lol) and I walk 1 hour and 15 minutes in the morning ( I'm getting up at 4:30 to do this), 20 of it on our parking lot ramp so I go up and down over and over to build muscle. Then I walk on my 2 ten minute breaks and about 20 minutes at lunch next door in the underground parking lot so I don't burn up. I'm doing a lot of walking already. I'm thinking of joining out local gym on the mountain. Can you suggest certain machines to look for when I go tour the place on Saturday?

Kathy

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 837 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 3:49 PM
I've always been thick waisted no matter my size. Any suggestions besides sit ups as I'm already doing this.

Once you've reached your weight loss goal, if your midsection is still a source of distress despite that and abdominal exercises -- liposuction with a well-trained dermatologist can make an amazingly dramatic difference (although to your pocketbook too, unfortunately). The website for the American Academy of Dermatology has information about the procedure, and I think they also have real-people before and after photos, to give you an idea. In addition, Dr. Rhoda Narins is one of the top names in liposuction, and her website (put her name into Google to get it) should also have a lot of photos. Click on "liposuction" to get information and the photos.

sheila

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 838 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:24 PM
Can you suggest certain machines to look for when I go tour the place on Saturday?

I would recommend you try to start some very light weight training. By increasing your muscle, you will in turn burn more fat, even while resting.

As far as machines, try to get a full-body workout in at each session as this will not require to be in the gym every day and you can do some circuit training, which should help melt that fat off.

Try getting in things like squats or leg presses, bench press, rowing machine, lat pulldowns, barbell or dumbell curls, etc. You don't need to use heavy weights and don't fear getting all bulked up. A friend of a friend bought a Bowflex and followed their circuit-training program and he lost a lot of weight.

In a past edition of Muscle and Fitness, they had a good article on a beginning full-body workout. If you are interested, let me know and I will find that issue and post the workout.

dt

Author: 2195501y Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 839 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:27 PM
In a past edition of Muscle and Fitness, they had a good article on a beginning full-body workout. If you are interested, let me know and I will find that issue and post the workout.

Please, please do so!

Thanks in advance!

2195501y

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 840 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:33 PM
<<Can you suggest certain machines to look for when I go tour the place on Saturday?
>>

Let me rephrase that, what machines should I look for that would help my mid-section area. This gym is in the mountains, it's not a chain and I have no idea what i'll find when I get in there so I'd like to go in armed with knowledge for what I need. I don't want to buy a membership to a place that is mostly used for men to bulk up or just has tread mills.

Stomach...think stomach. I'm already doing a lot of aerobic type work, I need spot work.

Thanks,
Kathy

Author: 2195501y Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 841 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:34 PM
Any suggestions besides sit ups as I'm already doing this.

Kathy,

Several points:

1. Some body parts lose fat easier than others. Maybe your tummy will be the last to lose. My tummy is the same way, so I know what you speak of.

2. Try doing crunches with weights (holding weights in your hands while sitting up). How many crunches do you do in a row? 50 or so will be good.

3. Do you work your back muscles? Please do - this will improve your posture and will let you 'suck your stomach in'.

Hope this helps.

2195501y

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 842 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:39 PM
Kathy, I'm not sure I'd suggest ANY machines for losing in the tummy.

I've got a big midsection, too, and what I find is even when I don't lose weight, I lose some off my tummy if I do yoga 3-4 times a week.

Maybe just me, but it really happens.

I just have trouble being consistant.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 843 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:45 PM
<<I've got a big midsection, too, and what I find is even when I don't lose weight, I lose some off my tummy if I do yoga 3-4 times a week.
>>

I thought about this but I'm not very limber, my balance is awful and I'm a big girl so I don't know if I am cable of yoga. As for crunches with weights, I have a waist of about 40...it's all I can do to sit up halfwalf without one, all this weight cuts off my breathing in that position. I tend to favor the leg lifts where your on your back and you lift them slowly off the floor and halway up then slowly back down. I can breath doing that one. I thought maybe a machine that has resistance of some sort. I envision something that I use my back to push back on. does this make sense? My fear is that I'll quit because I look worse now than I did 20 pounds ago.

Kathy

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 844 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
Stomach...think stomach. I'm already doing a lot of aerobic type work, I need spot work.

I would have to say by focusing on a full-body workout, you will benefit your stomach more than trying to spot train. Spot training is not effective. In addition, if you train your abs with machines and weights, you run the risk of making your abs appear bigger.

A full-body workout will help kick your metabolic rate into another gear which will result in you burning more fat. If you don't care to join a gym, you can get by with a few dumbells at home or even holding soup cans or something similar.

Do you have an exercise ball? I also have a whole slew of ab exercises that I can post for use with an exercise ball.

dt

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 845 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 1

I thought about this but I'm not very limber, my balance is awful and I'm a big girl so I don't know if I am cable of yoga. As for crunches with weights, I have a waist of about 40...it's all I can do to sit up halfwalf without one, all this weight cuts off my breathing in that position. I tend to favor the leg lifts where your on your back and you lift them slowly off the floor and halway up then slowly back down. I can breath doing that one. I thought maybe a machine that has resistance of some sort. I envision something that I use my back to push back on. does this make sense? My fear is that I'll quit because I look worse now than I did 20 pounds ago.

First, anyone can do yoga. The first yoga teacher I had was an older woman, 50's?, about 5'6", and wearing about a size 20? 22? Maybe bigger? She was limber, but that came with practice. The thing with yoga is to find a way to get the spirit of the posture and only go as far as you are comfortable with. It works because it helps with posture and it works the abs and back without necessarily building them.

I'm also a 40 waist, (when not doing yoga) so i know what you mean about the leg lifts.

So, at the gym: You will probably find an ab station where there are boards you can grab onto, either with your feet or your hands to help you with crunches or leg lifts. My gym also has a variety of chairs. The chair where you hang by your forearms and lift your legs. I'm not strong enough for that.

We also have one I've never seen anywhere else that's designed to lay down on, but you can tilt the angle. Changing the angle of the bench changes what part of the abs you work. I like that one.

Are you targeting your obliques? That might help.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 846 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:57 PM
<<Do you have an exercise ball? I also have a whole slew of ab exercises that I can post for use with an exercise ball.
>>

You would have to see me to understand that this would not work for me...lol.

Kathy

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 847 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 4:57 PM

They do have machines that are made for that purpose. If I am not mistaken, you can use the machine to push back or crunch forward.

I just mentioned in another post but if you don't have one, you might want to look into an exercise ball. You can really get some good ab work in with one of those and it may be less stressful as depending on the angle you lie on the ball, it is more or less difficult. This may allow you to find a range that is comfortable for you.

In addition to the leg lifts you are doing now, can you lie on your stomach and raise your head and shoulders up ever so slightly? This will work your lower back and can really assist with stabilizing your midsection. 2195501y mentioned working your back, it is very important to building a solid midsection.

dt (I need to start following my own words of advice here!)

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 848 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:00 PM
Recommendations: 7

Kathy,

Spot reducing does not work. Ever, at all. A million sit-ups a day will not get you a six-pack (instead, it requires something like a less than 15% amount of body fat). Yes, it sucks that you can't lose weight where you want to, but it's been proven over and over that spot reduction is a myth. Your midsection may be the last place you lose weight, it may be where your body simply holds the *most* weight. (I've been told by personal trainers before that your body melts fat evenly off the body, so as you have lost weight all over, you probably lost a little weight on your stomach, but not so much that you really noticed it.)

The best way to lose fat is to build muscles and eat a little less than you need to make it through the day. The best way to build up your abs is to also work your back (seconding the post by 2159901y). Other good muscles to work are: glutes, quads, hamstrings, lats, traps. Why? They are larger muscle/muscle groups.

What to look for in a gym: large selection of free weights, variety of cardio equipment, knowledgable and reasonable staff who will explain and demonstrate how to use the equipment. Do not fear the free weights, they are not solely there for the purpose of men bulking up. They are a better workout for building muscles, which is ideal for losing fat. Look into their personal training program so you can get a session or two on using the free weights for your goals.

Misc. advice: from what I've seen and heard, the best way to build your midsecion/core muscles is through Pilates and yoga. And don't forget to keep on keepin' on, your walking regimen sounds great!

liss
hope this helps

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 849 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:01 PM

Don't underestimate yourself. I can tell you it is hard to get used to balancing on one but if you can lie on the floor and do ab exercises, you can lie on a ball and do them.

If you don't feel like sharing I completely understand but why do you feel it would not work for you?

dt

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 850 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:02 PM

I've seen a pic of you. I think you can use a ball.

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 851 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:07 PM

I just looked up one of the balls. It's rated to hold up to 300 pounds. They are great tools.

If the gym has one/some ask if they can have someone show you some exercises on it.

Even just sitting on it works the abs.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 852 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:09 PM
<<Spot reducing does not work. Ever, at all. A million sit-ups a day will not get you a six-pack (instead, it requires something like a less than 15% amount of body fat). Yes, it sucks that you can't lose weight where you want to, but it's been proven over and over that spot reduction is a myth. Your midsection may be the last place you lose weight, it may be where your body simply holds the *most* weight. (I've been told by personal trainers before that your body melts fat evenly off the body, so as you have lost weight all over, you probably lost a little weight on your stomach, but not so much that you really noticed it.)
>>

Well you're just a ray of sunshine for me...lol. I was afraid of this. Actually I don't even want a six-pack, I'd be thrilled to pieces if I could just get my waist to catch up to the rest of me. I feel like an egg with tooth picks for legs. I just want to hide right now. I fidn it very strange to have lost 20lbs and feel miserable about it. A strange friend of mine suggested that I try to reshape my waist. she said that because I've worn elastic and lose clothing most of my life, I have no shape, she suggests wearing a corsette on my off time around the house and at night to reshape my waist. She said that actresses use to do this all the time and that although it won't make me lose weight, it would reshape my waist to give an illusion of a better shape. Is she nuts?

Kathy

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 853 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:10 PM
<<If you don't feel like sharing I completely understand but why do you feel it would not work for you?
>>

Because I have no balance, I'm very clumsy, I have a bad back and I look 8 months pregnant. I'd fall on my butt and hurt myself. I'd be afraid to even try it.

Kathy

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 854 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:11 PM
<<I've seen a pic of you. I think you can use a ball.
>>

You've seen a pic from the neck up and it was 4 years old and about 40 pounds ago.

Kathy

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 855 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:12 PM

Well you're just a ray of sunshine for me...lol. I was afraid of this. Actually I don't even want a six-pack, I'd be thrilled to pieces if I could just get my waist to catch up to the rest of me. I feel like an egg with tooth picks for legs. I just want to hide right now. I fidn it very strange to have lost 20lbs and feel miserable about it. A strange friend of mine suggested that I try to reshape my waist. she said that because I've worn elastic and lose clothing most of my life, I have no shape, she suggests wearing a corsette on my off time around the house and at night to reshape my waist. She said that actresses use to do this all the time and that although it won't make me lose weight, it would reshape my waist to give an illusion of a better shape. Is she nuts?

Well, yes and no.

A corset can reshape a waist, but it takes a long time to do so, and you need to wear it almost all the time; like for years. It will move your organs around, too, depending on how tight you make it.

Saw someone on a tv show that looked like she had about a 10 inch waist. But, she couldn't stand up for more than a couple of mins without the corset.

Not really worth it, IMO.

Keep up what you're doing, it will come off!

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 856 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:14 PM

Because I have no balance, I'm very clumsy, I have a bad back and I look 8 months pregnant. I'd fall on my butt and hurt myself. I'd be afraid to even try it.

Set it against a wall until your balance is better. Will help make your back stronger, too.

Ishtar
(trying to remove road blocks, not be pushy; if I'm pushy, let me know)

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 857 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:15 PM

Yeah, sorry I couldn't be more cheerful but I hate for people to hold onto illusions that I know are impossible. I have no idea about the corset and <whispers>don't tell anyone that I know this, but there are actual websites about corset "training" where you could get more information </whispers, tries to stop blushing>, but it doesn't sound like too much fun. I don't think your friend is nuts but I've only heard of corsets as a fetish thing (you're not the only one with strange friends!), not an actress thing. There are clothes that are supposed to emphasize a "waist" on people who don't have one, I think one of those things is wearing say, all black with a bright colored belt. Or maybe its a bright outfit with a black belt. Either way, you're making progress, so even though you're not looking your best, remind yourself that every day you're getting closer to not looking that way for too much longer. You've been in this stage before, when you were on your way to those 20lbs that you've recently lost.

liss
hmm... that doesn't sound to cheerful either ...oops, sorry!

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 858 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:21 PM
What about a belly dancing tape? Would belly dancing help me? I could do that in my house with the curtains drawn...lol. Shakira looks good.

Kathy

Author: foolliss Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 859 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 5:23 PM
What about a belly dancing tape? Would belly dancing help me? I could do that in my house with the curtains drawn...lol. Shakira looks good.

Belly dancing is a lot of fun! You might want to check out the Fools Fighting Fat boards and look for posts by ... Yedith, I think. She does belly dancing and had some great recommendations on videos, clothes and I think classes too. It's been awhile so my memory is a bit shaky.

liss
not so gloomy this time ;o)

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 860 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 6:05 PM

Belly dancing could work.

I highly recommend The Goddess Workout series with Dolphina.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 861 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 6:19 PM
<<I highly recommend The Goddess Workout series with Dolphina.

>>

Thanks, I just bought it on ebay for $7.99.

Kathy

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 862 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 6:23 PM

Thanks, I just bought it on ebay for $7.99.

She gets kinda new agey, and sometimes talks about Chakras, but I didn't think that would be a problem for you.

Each section has beautiful backgrounds, costumes.

I like the Neena and Veena tapes, too, but they are sort of, I don't know, more cabaret style.

I hope you like it.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 863 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 6:26 PM
<<Each section has beautiful backgrounds, costumes.
.>

I'm going to a Woman Spirit Faire in 2 weeks, they will have belly dancing stuff, perhaps I should buy something that jingles to wear on my hips. Will probably drive my cats nuts...lol

Kathy

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 864 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 6:46 PM

I'm going to a Woman Spirit Faire in 2 weeks, they will have belly dancing stuff, perhaps I should buy something that jingles to wear on my hips. Will probably drive my cats nuts...lol

color me jealous. Haven't been able to do that kind of thing in quite a while.

Buy a jingly, shiny thing, scarf or belt (being apple shaped, I find the scarves work better, but that's me.) and have fun!

Ishtar

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 865 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:05 PM
Yes, belly dancing is fun, uses calories, and exercises muscles we don't usually notice.

Get out the finger cymbals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 866 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:10 PM
Prince called. He wants them back, please. ;-)

Thanks!
Joe

Get out the finger cymbals!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:17 PM
Genetics plays a role in ease of weight lose & where your body holds its fat the longest.You have to work within the limitations that your genetic makeup predisposes you to.

With some people,the last place to loss is the hips.others its the butt,& still other the belly.

I agree that spot weight loss doesn't work.Spot toning does,but not fat loss.

Neither does all the fat burning tablets that you see ads for.(Quackary)

I think that extraabdominal fat is a liposuction candidate,but if its actually inside your abdomin (intraabdominal),Idon't think liposuction can be used.Too great a risk of damaging viscera or vasculature.

Just keep consuming less carlories than you burn daily,& you will eventually loss the belly.

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:35 PM
Just keep consuming less carlories than you burn daily,& you will eventually loss the belly.

And consider trying a low-carbohydrate diet. That is the only thing that worked for my wife and I, and it worked like a dream.

Thanks!
Joe

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:40 PM
I think that extraabdominal fat is a liposuction candidate,but if its actually inside your abdomin (intraabdominal),Idon't think liposuction can be used.Too great a risk of damaging viscera or vasculature.

An experienced dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon is the one qualified to determine which patients will benefit from liposuction and which ones must avoid it. And current liposuction techniques permit very precise targeting for where fat is removed, and how much is removed. The American Academy of Dermatology's site says this:

<<Despite diet and exercise,fatty deposits may remain on the face, chin, neck, breast, abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, knees and ankles. A dermatologist experienced in the procedure can use tumescent liposuction to remove these localized fat deposits. Tumescent liposuction is performed only after a full medical evaluation.

This dermatologic surgery is performed in an outpatient setting, usually under local anesthesia and anti-bleeding medication. In some cases, ultrasound is used to break down and liquify fat cells in the area to be treated. Fat is removed from the targeted area with a vacuum inserted through an incision in the skin. Many patients do not require postoperative pain medication. It is usually possible for the patient to resume physical exercise 3 to 7 days after the procedure. Liposuction is not a substitute for diet, exercise or weight reduction. It complements other efforts to keep a young and trim look. Go to the Web site for the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery for more information about liposuction.>>

Dr. Rhoda Narins is one of the most highly respected dermatologists involved in liposuction, and has been doing it for more than 20 years. Her website provides a lot of basic information, and a bunch of before/after photos for different "problem areas."
http://www.narins.com/liposculpture.html
It's not something to rush into, but worth considering.

sheila

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 8:49 PM
<<snip>>And consider trying a low-carbohydrate diet. That is the only thing that worked for my wife and I, and it worked like a dream.<<snip>>

I know that for distance running,Atkins style low carb diets are discouraged.It seems like your body needs the carbs for this type excercise.

Dr. Dean Adel is a physician on a nationally syndicated radio show sunday mmornings.

He reported on several long term university studies comparing weight loss programs based on the high fat/protein atkins diet versus diets that restrict calories,but not restricting carbs more than other food sources.

The results:Atkins diet caused faster weight loss for the first year.

BUT.........

After the first year, the differences disappeared.

And after 5 years,both diet groups had gained back a big portion of their weight. Most people miss the eliminated part of foods too much to stick with the program.

The best LONG TERM success was "eat a balanced diet but but reduce the portion size of each meal"....and excercise.

He said

He

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 871 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 9:37 PM
I know that for distance running,Atkins style low carb diets are discouraged.It seems like your body needs the carbs for this type excercise.

All bodies need carbs, but most people eat far more than they need, taking their activity level and weight goals into account.

The results:Atkins diet caused faster weight loss for the first year. BUT.........After the first year, the differences disappeared.

Meaning what? Low-carb person lost twenty pounds the first year, non-low carb lost five, but the next year they both lost five? A meaningless statistic.

And after 5 years,both diet groups had gained back a big portion of their weight. Most people miss the eliminated part of foods too much to stick with the program.

You can't blame the program for people gaining weight back if they aren't on the program. And personally, I find a low-carb approach the easiest thing in the world to follow. I eat meat, eggs, vegetables, cheese, and fruit in moderation. What I don't eat is sugar and overly-processed foods. And I don't miss them.

The best LONG TERM success was "eat a balanced diet but but reduce the portion size of each meal"....and excercise.

1) That's just the thing--a high-carb diet is not balanced.

2) If you "reduce the portion size of each meal" to the point that you are not satisfied, two things are going to happen: your metabolism is going to slow, and you are going to "binge" eventually out of hunger. Double whammy. I eat until I am satisfied--not stuffed, but satisfied.

3) No argument about exercise, especially weightlifting. Speeds up your metabolism. :-)

And my main point is this: my belief in a low-carb diet is not based on theories, or textbooks, or studies. It is based on personal, measurable results that I have seen with my own eyes in my own life. And I was as skeptical of this approach as anyone before I tried it. But my weight is down, my body fat is down, my cholesterol is down, my complexion is improved, my dental health is improved.....you get the idea. I reckon I can't say for sure that it will work for everyone, but again going to my personal experience, I have never met one person who followed a low-carb approach that told me it didn't work. Not one.

Putting away soapbox. :-)

Thanks!
Joe

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 872 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 9:39 PM
Oh, and one more comment, about liposuction. Like any surgical procecure, it is risky. People have died from it.

Kinda puts one's body shape in perspective, IMHO.

Thanks!
Joe

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 873 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 9:52 PM
People have died from it.

People who have had it done with inadequately trained practitioners.

Studies have documented that done with properly trained dermatologists who had done a great many procedures, the risk is basically non-existent (I've seen the figures, and they're pretty astonishing). The risks go up when it's done in-patient, general anesthetic, with a great amount of fat removed and in conjunction with several other procedures.

The media make a big deal out of the fatalities, without giving an accurate appraisal of the factors that go into creating the risk.

sheila

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 874 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 10:30 PM
<<The best LONG TERM success was "eat a balanced diet but but reduce the portion size of each meal"....and excercise.

>>

Wise man...and he's right. I did Atkins back in 98...lost 19 pounds, then started to feel horrible, dizzy, I fainted a few times and my doctor told me to stop. I gained all tht weight back with a few months and then some..way some! If you can't live on the diet forever, don't waste your time cause when you stop, the weight will come back. I've been yo-yo'ing on one fad diet after another since I was 12.

Kathy...who had a small greek salad, small serving of plain rice and 4oz of baked halibat with malt vinegar and cantaloupe for dinner..yum

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 875 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 10:32 PM
<<Oh, and one more comment, about liposuction. Like any surgical procecure, it is risky. People have died from it.

Kinda puts one's body shape in perspective, IMHO.

>>

Don't worry, I'd never do that anyway...although I do hate how I look, it's just too vain in my eyes. I have better things to do with my money. Besides, if I were ever going to get plastic surgery, I get something that counts like big boobs...lol

;-) Kathy

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 876 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 10:57 PM
Don't worry, I'd never do that anyway...although I do hate how I look, it's just too vain in my eyes.

My personal sense is that having liposuction to bring a real-life body as close to perfect as possible is vain, and an inexcusable waste of money.

But going through life with a substantial concentration of abdominal fat is a highly documented risk factor for significant cardiovascular problems -- not a guarantee, but it places men and women with a very large waist and belly (that apple shape) in a worrisome category. It's something to think about.

sheila

Author: sjfans Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 877 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 11:05 PM
A strange friend of mine suggested that I try to reshape my waist. she said that because I've worn elastic and lose clothing most of my life, I have no shape, she suggests wearing a corsette on my off time around the house and at night to reshape my waist.

Hey, you may have hit on something here...

A corsette is a bit extreme, but perhaps a slimming "body-shaper" type undergarment might be enough to give you a pyschological boost until you see more results around your middle?

I have to be in a wedding this weekend. Trust me, even at "only" around 150lbs there will be lots of body enhancing underwear beneath that bridesmaid's dress...

sjfans :)

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 878 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 11:11 PM

Don't let any of those reasons prevent you from trying! Is there someone that could assist you with your balance and kind of spot you as you get comfortable with leaning on the ball?

I don't think using the ball would bother your back. You can start from a sitting position with the ball behind you and lean back against it. Then slowly push with your feet and roll back on the ball.

If you go to the gym, ask them if they have any of these and if someone there could take some time to help you familiarize yourself with the ball. If not that, you can pick them up for $20-$30 and then you can do it at home.

My DW is not the most coordinated person in the world and she was able to get the hang of balancing on the ball. Also, just learning to balance on it will be a workout as all of your stabilizing muscles will be put to the test to assist with your balance.

I really hope you are able to try a ball as I think you might really like all of the things you can do with it.

dt

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 879 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 11:13 PM
You've seen a pic from the neck up and it was 4 years old and about 40 pounds ago.

They have different size balls for different size people. I believe the one I bought was rated for at least 300 pounds and there was at least one more ball above the one I bought. I am 6'1" and am usually in the neighborhood of 230-240 lbs and I haven't had any problems.

dt

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 880 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 11:19 PM
<<A corsette is a bit extreme, but perhaps a slimming "body-shaper" type undergarment might be enough to give you a pyschological boost until you see more results around your middle?
>>

I just may try that....motivation...it's a good thing!

Kathy Stewart

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/28/2003 11:24 PM
If you can't live on the diet forever, don't waste your time cause when you stop, the weight will come back. I've been yo-yo'ing on one fad diet after another since I was 12.

Therein lies the key and is something I am struggling with myself. I think for the best results you should not diet but you should make a lifestyle change to eat healthier overall.

dt

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 883 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/29/2003 2:29 PM
The media make a big deal out of the fatalities, without giving an accurate appraisal of the factors that go into creating the risk.

If it was my fatality, I'd make a big deal out of it too! ;-) I feel that any risk of death from this procedure, even if it is infinitessimal (sp?), is too much, considering that it is a vanity procedure.

Respectfully submitted...
Joe

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 884 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/29/2003 2:39 PM
<<
If it was my fatality, I'd make a big deal out of it too! ;-) I feel that any risk of death from this procedure, even if it is infinitessimal (sp?), is too much, considering that it is a vanity procedure.

>>

Actually the bigger fear is a botched job where you wind up looking worse than before, all chuncky and uneven plus, if they took out more than my body wanted to lose, I'd have this excess skin hanging like a bassett hound. That's a fear I already have anyway. I've been very big for most of my life...not sure just how much of my skin will bounce back. I'm being realistic byt thinking that I'd be thrilled to make it to a size 12 and stay there. That would have me at 5'5" and 150lbs..fine with me.

Kathy

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 885 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/29/2003 3:11 PM
Not to be a low-carb zealot, Kathy, but my wife was always big too, and she tried everything to lose. On a low-carb diet (combined with the exercise she was already doing with aerobics and weights), she promptly lost 60 lbs.

I'm just sayin'. :-)

Thanks!
Joe

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 886 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/29/2003 4:00 PM
<<Actually the bigger fear is a botched job >>

I understand the fears, both for safety and a positive outcome. Aside from the fact that these kinds of procedures are not always solely for the sake of vanity, the critical factor for both concerns is finding a properly trained and experienced professional to do the procedure--same as you would for any medical procedure, or for your dentist, etc.

I have the advantage of what I've learned as a science and medical writer with a heavy concentration, for a while now, in dermatology research. I don't do articles on those cosmetic procedures, but I've attended some of the professional presentations, read in the medical literature, and I know how to evaluate the research that's been done. And I have a reasonable sense as to what to take with a grain of salt--both from the popular media and the professionals.

It's a very personal decision, obviously, as to having one of these procedures, and each person who considers it has their own set of reasons for and against. But the one overriding concern for everyone who does look into this seriously is to make sure they are consulting with, and considering, a competent professional. A professional association is usually a good place to start, and/or the dermatology department at the closest teaching hospital. And remember--having a consultation appointment can do a lot in helping to distinguish between real fears and false ones, AND between realistic expectations and false ones. And a consultation doesn't commit to anything except informing yourself.

sheila

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 888 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/30/2003 8:40 AM
Not to be a low-carb zealot, Kathy, but my wife was always big too, and she tried everything to lose. On a low-carb diet (combined with the exercise she was already doing with aerobics and weights), she promptly lost 60 lbs.

Joe,

Did you guys follow any particular low-carb plan or did you just kind of make it up as you went along? I briefly tried a low-carb approach but did not stick with it. Thanks.

dt

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 889 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/30/2003 12:17 PM
We started doing something very similar to Atkins. Then, on the recommendation of the folks on the "Low Carb Way of Life" board here on the Fool, I bought the book "Protein Power", which they said was better than Atkins.

Now, my wife and I are in maintenance phase, so we don't really follow a "plan" other than avoiding sugars, pastas, breads, enriched flours, and processed foods. Lots of meat, eggs, vegetables, and some fruit (mostly berries). At 35, I am in the shape of my life. :-)

Thanks!
Joe

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 890 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/30/2003 1:07 PM
We started doing something very similar to Atkins. Then, on the recommendation of the folks on the "Low Carb Way of Life" board here on the Fool, I bought the book "Protein Power", which they said was better than Atkins.

Now, my wife and I are in maintenance phase, so we don't really follow a "plan" other than avoiding sugars, pastas, breads, enriched flours, and processed foods. Lots of meat, eggs, vegetables, and some fruit (mostly berries). At 35, I am in the shape of my life. :-)

Thanks! For some reason the name of that book sounds familiar and may be one of the books I browsed the time I took a stab at this. Also, thanks for mentioning the Low Carb board as I will have to go check it out.

Congrats to you for being in the shape of your life!

dt

Author: VeeEnn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 891 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 5/30/2003 3:30 PM
<<I'm doing a lot of walking already. I'm thinking of joining out local gym on the mountain. Can you suggest certain machines to look for when I go tour the place on Saturday?>>

Kathy.....even though the nice weather's coming, joining a gym is a fine idea.

Re: your particular problem area......although spot reducing doesn't really work, a while back I read an article somewhere or other tha mentioned a fall-off in the production of growth hormone as a factor in middle age spread. Now, although I've always been involved in sports and been exercising diligently, but not obsessively, for quite a few years now I spotted the beginnings of this last summer (I'm 50 now) so I started adding high intensity interval training and increased the weight work I was doing (I also read that this increases growth hormone production)

You've been given some excellent advice on weight training but the cardio machines at the gym are great for doing timed interval training.
I increased my weight routine to a 2 week rotation of 2X upper body and 1X lower body one week and the reverse the next. I do this on Mon, Wed, Fri am with about 20-30 mins cardio as a warm up (I too am an early riser) I joined a local gym in Oct/Nov last year and try to get there 2 or 3 lunch hours per week and do 30-40 mins on either the elliptical or treadmill. I wear a heart rate monitor chest strap to get a continuous readout from the machine and have either The Who or Roxy Music on my CD player and do alternating intervals with the different songs.

The elliptical is an all lower body workout (I use the "glutes" programme) and my legs are pooped after 30 mins. The treadmill I do differently and use the HeavyHands technique I posted about ages back on the H&N board. This gives me the same intensity work out (per the display on the machine at the end of my session) but because the "work" is spread over more muscles, I can go for much longer.

I do belive it's made a difference. I didn't want to lose weight as I'm at a nice weight of 130 lbs at 5'5" but didn't like the idea of a thickening, matronly waistline. I wish I'd taken before pictures just to reassure me I'm not looking to see a difference with the eye of faith.

I should say.....you need to adjust your time-scale a bit. I started this addition to my routine at the end of last summer. The upper body stuff was to add a little "heft" to my chest and back area....I'm still looking for significant development here although my arms and shoulders are very "cut" thanks to a "tank top rotation" I followed from one of the exercise sites I lurk on.

Good Luck

Vivienne

P.S. my gym offers a whole array of classes at no extra charge....I also do a spinning class every other week

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 908 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 6/5/2003 1:25 AM
Well I got that Goddess Workout video on belly dancing. Dolphina is pretty. She has pretty costumes too but I was very annoyed at how the camera was mostly on her face and chest, especially during the hips section. I'm trying to learn a move I can't even see her do. Over and over the camera was too high and it drove me nuts. I don't think she thought this out very well. It's suppose to be geared towards women who want to learn so why is she flirting with the camera?

Are there any other belly dance tapes that anyone could recommend? One that's more about learning and less about looking pretty and has good camera angles?

I will admit that even the warm up had me using muscles I never knew I had so I definitely want to learn more.

Kathy...who can recommend this tape to the men...you'll like it very much.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 909 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 6/5/2003 2:29 AM

Well I got that Goddess Workout video on belly dancing. Dolphina is pretty. She has pretty costumes too but I was very annoyed at how the camera was mostly on her face and chest, especially during the hips section. I'm trying to learn a move I can't even see her do. Over and over the camera was too high and it drove me nuts. I don't think she thought this out very well. It's suppose to be geared towards women who want to learn so why is she flirting with the camera?

I'm sorry you didn't like it. I did find some of the camera angles annoying, too, but I mostly liked it. Mmmm, maybe I liked it because I've had classes, so sort of know (some of) the moves?

Well, there are the Neena and Veena two series: mystic dance and fitness.

Here's a link to one of the one's in the fitness series: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000507PF/qid=1054792520/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/104-8671465-8278326

I'm perusing through Yedith's old posts now.

Some of her suggestions:

http://www.crystalpyramid.com/DISTRIBUTION/belly_dance_video.html
http://www.unicorn-bds.com/
My favorite instructional tapes are at http://www.pinkgypsy.com/atea/video1.htm

I recently bought something here, and think they have some videos:
www.discoverbellydance.net

Ishtar

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 910 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 6/5/2003 2:31 AM
Found more stuff from Yedith:

I have two sets of favorites. For getting started, I like the set Belly Dance! Fast Moves and Belly Dance! Slow Moves by Atea, Magical Motions.

There is a so a series that has great instructions and demonstrations, but horrible filming. Its what I use for learning new things, regardless of the film quality. This series is "The Art of Belly Dancing" with Joynon, Belly Dance Concepts.

Ishtar

Author: CrestlineKathy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 912 of 1653
Subject: Re: Spot losing Date: 6/6/2003 6:25 PM
<<Well, there are the Neena and Veena two series: mystic dance and fitness.
>>

I have 2 girlfriends who took their class in LA and they love her so I went for it and bought the boxed set (4 videos) on amazon.com.

Maybe mastering belly dancing will get me a man!!!

Thanks!!

;-) Kathy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (60) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement