Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: swordpen Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Spousal benefits? Date: 6/25/2001 11:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I searched for this particular quest. and can't find exact answer. My Dad is in nurse home, 97 yrs. old, Mom at home at 90. She draws $350 +/- s/s & Dad $850. She is paying down nursing home bill to the point of the "protected amount" that will remain hers.
She can pay household bills with the combined 350+850 but, 1) if he dies, what options does she have as a survivor to draw more than the $350?
2)with him in the home now, are there any options available?
3)are there any suggestions or unknown laws that may exist to her benefit?
Thanx, Swordpen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6961 of 19257
Subject: Re: Spousal benefits? Date: 6/25/2001 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
what options does she have as a survivor to draw more than the $350?

If he dies first, his monthly SS benefits ($850?)would replace her $350. Also as his spouse she would get a one time benefit of $225 (I think that's the amount). She would have to notify the SS Dept.

Carol

Author: NYMOM One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6965 of 19257
Subject: Re: Spousal benefits? Date: 6/25/2001 6:25 PM
Depending on the state, she is allowed to keep a certain amount of their income so she can pay bills and remain in her home. This is a complicated area. You should really contact a lawyer that speciializes in elder care.

Author: DrJekyll Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6977 of 19257
Subject: Re: Spousal benefits? Date: 6/29/2001 9:47 AM
The benefits for your mother, in the event your father dies before her, would be change from a non-working spousal benefit to a surviving spouse (widow) benefit. As such, her benefits would be adjusted to the amount your father was drawing. However, her benefit of $350 would cease since you can only draw one type of benefit at a time.

For more detailed information on Social Security Benefits, go to www.ssa.gov.

Good Luck

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement