UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eddiemail Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77549  
Subject: Spousal IRA Date: 2/24/1999 9:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I would like to set up an IRA account for my non-working spouse. According to your "Foolish Retirement Plan Primer" this is called a "Spousal IRA". It states that the non-working spouse has to make less than $250/year during the time the contributions (max $2,000/year) take place. So long both spouses file a joint tax return for that year. These are my concerns:

1. Do we need to specifically ask for a "Spousal IRA" when opening this account with a financial institution? In other words, are the forms different from those of a regular IRA? And if so, will most institutions know what I am talking about?

2. What happens if the non-working spouse earns over the $250/year limit? Does this make the Spousal IRA invalid? If so, can it then be converted or rolled into a regular IRA in order to avoid taxes and penalties?

I appreciate any help you can give me on this matter. We want to do this right from the beginning.

Thank you so much!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Taking Candy From Strangers
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.