Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Spouse death; are 2 returns needed? Date: 2/21/2000 7:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My father died on Feb. 02, 1999. This was before the 1998 tax returns were due ( April 15). My mother filed a joint return, stating on the form that her husband had deceased. Since my father lived a little over one month in 1999, and therefore had some limited income via social security, his retirement plan, and interest income, how must my mother file?
The IRS already knows that my father deceased. So, can she file her tax return including my father's income, or must 2 forms be filed - one for my father and one for my mother? It's a little confusing.
Thanks for any replies.
Pearlfinder
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29526 of 121144
Subject: Re: Spouse death; are 2 returns needed? Date: 2/21/2000 10:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< My father died on Feb. 02, 1999. This was before the 1998 tax returns were due ( April 15). My mother filed a joint return, stating on the form that her husband had deceased. Since my father lived a little over one month in 1999, and therefore had some limited income via social security, his retirement plan, and interest income, how must my mother file?
The IRS already knows that my father deceased. So, can she file her tax return including my father's income, or must 2 forms be filed - one for my father and one for my mother? It's a little confusing. >>

Assuming that your mother did not remarry in 1999, she files a joint return, which includes the personal exemption and income of your father.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: Pearlfinder One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29553 of 121144
Subject: Re: Spouse death; are 2 returns needed? Date: 2/22/2000 9:02 AM
Dear Mr. Marti:
I assume that I would use my mother's tax identification number (S.S.#) as the main one on the tax form, since my father died in Feb. of 1999. As I stated to you earlier, The Tax Forms sent to them this year had a label as follows:

Husband's name DECD & Wife's name
Wife's name (below above)
Current Address

So you can see that they know that he is deceased, since they put DECD on the label.
Thanks for providing answers.

Pearlfinder

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29598 of 121144
Subject: Re: Spouse death; are 2 returns needed? Date: 2/22/2000 2:18 PM
<< I assume that I would use my mother's tax identification number (S.S.#) as the main one on the tax form, since my father died in Feb. of 1999. As I stated to you earlier, The Tax Forms sent to them this year had a label as follows:

Husband's name DECD & Wife's name
Wife's name (below above)
Current Address

So you can see that they know that he is deceased, since they put DECD on the label. >>

I assume his date of death was included on the 1998 return, so they know he died in 1999 and will be expecting a return from him.

I would switch to your mother's name and SSN as primary for the 1999 return. DO NOT use the label. That will show things backward and confuse those poor overworked IRS computers.

If she has not already done so, your mother needs to make sure she gets her SSN shown on all reporting documents before the end of the year. There will be problems on the 2000 return if there's any reporting under your father's number.

Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement