UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: andjj Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21032  
Subject: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/9/2005 7:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife has started college at age 32 and we are fast approaching her first ever spring break. I'm taking vacation so we can do something that week, but we don't know what to do. She doesn't want to go any place where there are going to be a bunch of college kids on spring break (I think I'd love it though), so Florida and the Caribbean are probably out. I would think that ski resorts will be packed with them too. She doesn't play golf (yet). We've already been to just about every city in the U.S. that we'd ever feel like visiting. Cruises are not necessarily out of our price range, but we were going to try to be relatively economical (and I wouldn't want to go on the cheap with an inner cabin). Our latest plan involves either going somewhere in Europe and/or waiting until the last minute and seeing what last minute deals are available, then just going wherever seems interesting. We would welcome any thoughts/ideas/suggestions (we'd be departing from Boston, by the way).
Thanks in advance.
jja
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JavaTraveler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5587 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/9/2005 8:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Aer Lingus has some excellent deals to Dublin right now. www.aerlingus.com

Charlie

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5588 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 7:11 AM
Recommendations: 1
We cruise all the time using inside cabins. We figure the only time we are in the cabin is to sleep and shower, so why spend the extra $200+.
You cruise for the sunshine, warm weather, Caribean water, ports etc, not for the stateroom.

Author: jezebel14 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5589 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 2
Go to Costa Rica! You fly into San Jose then head to the coasts- there are some great deals around and it is very cheap when you get there.

Jez

Author: JavaTraveler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5590 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 9:37 AM
If you cruise, don't go on Carnival during Spring Break - college kids love Carnival.

Charlie

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5591 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 9:55 AM
Vienna is always a good choice. It's safe, easy to get around, good food, good beer and wine, and lots of things to see. The people are friendly and it's not expensive.

You can see most of the city in a week. I've been living here for over three years and there are only a few of the sights that I haven't seen yet.

Grue
... offering a completely unbiased opinion ;o)

Author: andjj Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5592 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 11:22 AM
Vienna is always a good choice.

Yeah, I loved Vienna when I was there. Couldn't get enough gulaschsuppe and Budweiser Budvar. And wine by the mug. But I don't remember it being inexpensive. Budapest was much more affordable. But that was ten years ago, so maybe prices are more uniform now.

Author: bthomas15 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5593 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 11:49 AM
Go to Costa Rica! You fly into San Jose then head to the coasts- there are some great deals around and it is very cheap when you get there.

Yes! I second this idea. We did this last year for spring break. It was a wonderful place to visit and didn't seem particularly crowded. There was alot to see and do...

Author: Digerati Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5594 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 12:12 PM
we were going to try to be relatively economical (and I wouldn't want to go on the cheap with an inner cabin). Our latest plan involves either going somewhere in Europe and/or waiting until the last minute and seeing what last minute deals are available

British Airways is currently running a promotion giving lower fares for economy travel with 2 free nights in in London. This also applies to flights to Europe via London (i.e. you can stop over in London for 2 nights for free). See

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/offerus024/public/en_us

From Boston the lowest airfare in this deal would be $270/person ($135 each way) plus taxes.

I don't work for BA -- I'm just a cheapskate :-)

Digerati

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5595 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 12:16 PM
British Airways is currently running a promotion giving lower fares for economy travel with 2 free nights in in London.

Nooooooo! Actually thanks for posting :) We used a great deal from BA a year ago Thanksgiving, got a great deal and had a wonderful time. I've put a moratorium on travel until at least fall because we have too much going on with our kids. Keep the deals coming - eventually I can jump on another one.

rad

Author: hlupak Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5596 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 12:32 PM
Icelandair has a sale on right now, but it looks like the booking deadline is tomorrow. Fares from Boston (not including taxes):

London $248
Paris $260
Amsterdam $265
Frankfurt $269
Reykjavik $292
Glasgow $293
Copenhagen $365
Stockholm $398
Oslo $414

I can't figure out why Reykjavik is in the middle of the price range, given that all Icelandair flights connect at Keflavik airport.

http://www.icelandair.com/main/view.jsp?branch=5220902

Cody

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5597 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 1:54 PM
Yeah, I loved Vienna when I was there. Couldn't get enough gulaschsuppe and Budweiser Budvar. And wine by the mug. But I don't remember it being inexpensive. Budapest was much more affordable. But that was ten years ago, so maybe prices are more uniform now.

Ah yes, how did I survive before I discovered gulaschsuppe? Not to mention schnitzel, stelze, Kaiserschmarren, kurbischremesuppe, ...

The bad news is that Budapest has gotten more expensive, so it's not the bargain that it used to be. I enjoy Budapest and Prague, but Vienna has much more to offer, IMO. The emperor lived here, so we got all the good stuff. ;o)

I love the museums here. My favorites are the military history museum, the armor collection at the Hofburg, the treasury (crown jewels & ecclesiastical treasures) and the art history museum. If you like art, there's always something going on. A Rembrandt exhibit just closed at the Albertina, for example. Before that, they had Michelangelo. I'm not sure who's there now.

Of course, a tour of both the summer and the winter palaces is mandatory. Oh, don't forget the cathedral, or the Minorettenkirche, or ...

I also enjoy wandering the streets looking at the architecture. Even the house we're living in is over 300 years old.

Vienna might not be the most inexpensive destination in the world, but it's not overly expensive.

You can get a small suite in a hotel near the middle of the city for about $125 a night.
When we first moved here, we lived in this apartment:
http://www.apartment.at/index_eng.php3/app/12/Walkner
It's about $100 a night including tax and has a full kitchen with a washing machine. Minimum stay is three nights. (We stayed there a month for $1500.) There's a good restaurant downstairs that we still visit several times a year. All the sights are just a few minutes away. I highly recommend something like this over staying in a hotel if possible.

Vienna has one of the best public transport systems in the world. Most of my friends don't own cars. Unlimited rides cost $3 to $5 per day, depending on how long you stay and what ticket you buy. (If you buy a yearly pass, it's just over a dollar a day, but you're probably not wanting to stay quite that long.)

When we eat out, if we spend $20 each, we've really splurged. If you eat more than one meal this size per day, you're gonna have trouble fitting into your clothes for the trip home!

If you decide to come, let me know, and I'll try to help you get past some of the rough spots so you'll enjoy your stay more.

Grue

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5600 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 4:25 PM
Vienna is always a good choice. It's safe, easy to get around, good food, good beer and wine, and lots of things to see. The people are friendly and it's not expensive

Grue
... offering a completely unbiased opinion ;o)

I will second that opinion.

PS. Grue gives a greating walking tour around the city ring as well :-)

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5602 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 4:28 PM
London $248
Paris $260
Amsterdam $265
Frankfurt $269
Reykjavik $292
Glasgow $293
Copenhagen $365
Stockholm $398
Oslo $414

Off topic for a moment, but I just realized that I have been to all those cities, espect for Reykjavik and Glasgow.

JP
...posting from Oslo at the moment

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5603 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 4:31 PM
PS. Grue gives a greating walking tour around the city ring as well :-)

Thanks, Lenny.

However, I can't promise a record-breaking snowfall for you to enjoy during every walking tour. That was a special order just for Lenny.

(It was a good thing that we'd had plenty to eat that evening. Otherwise, we might have frozen out there.)

Grue

Author: JPLenny Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5605 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 4:44 PM
However, I can't promise a record-breaking snowfall for you to enjoy during every walking tour. That was a special order just for Lenny.

Funny thing is that I'm up in Oslo right now and they have had hardly any snow in the city to speak of. We got a dusting on Wednesday morning, but not like expected. It's weird hearing all the cars driving around on studded snow tires, with no snow around.

They did get some snow out at the Oslo airport this morning. I was stuck on a SAS flight for an hour and a half waiting for the runway to get clear and the plane to get de-iced. I had to rush through the airport at Copenhagen to catch my connection. I hate doing that.

I wasn't in a great mood, I had to travel down to Stuttgart to get some parts and fly back up here. To make matters worse, the whole day SAS/Lufthansa could not find my electronic ticket. It made for a long day and I know I'm going to have to screw around to get my FF miles for today with all the ticket problems.

Anyway, by the time I returned this evening, most of the snow was gone once again at the airport.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5606 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 7:42 PM
Icelandair has a sale on right now, but it looks like the booking deadline is tomorrow.

I just have to say that, without exception, Icelandair is the absolute worst airline I have ever flown.

Just one of many complaints: They refused to assign seats at JFK for the return; said we had to call to confirm 24 hours in advance. We did; got seat numbers. Got to Keflavik and were told we did not have reserved seats and to get in line at the gate. Our friends, who called at the same time (same phone call) got their assigned seats. No explanation, no apology. Totally bizarre and infuriating experience.

As I said, that is only one of numerous complaints.

Gayle
. . . will not fly Icelandair

Author: Robert52 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5609 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/10/2005 9:39 PM
You might consider "the eternal city" - Rome. We were there in late February last year, and really enjoyed it. The weather is pretty nice in March - Rome is the same lattitude as New York City, but the climate is more like South Carolina.

You can probably get a flight to Rome for around $450 including fees and taxes.

Try this airfare search website:

www.mobissimo.com

Also, try www.travelzoo.com for travel and airfare deals.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5613 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/14/2005 12:18 AM
We would welcome any thoughts/ideas/suggestions (we'd be departing from Boston, by the way).
Thanks in advance.

If you are interested in the Gulf, but not Florida, maybe Gulf Shores, Alabama?
I have a friend that has some houses there if you are interested, here's his website:
http://www.gulfcoastrentals.com/alabama/gulfshores/hollowell/AALink.htm
The area is very rural still, and there are no hotels in the area. It's all just beach houses. It's also a couple hours from New Orleans via the ferry. We'll be going down again soon. Hubby will be going down this week.

Author: ricebowlsoupe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5616 of 21032
Subject: Re: Spring Break!!! Date: 2/16/2005 2:48 AM
Our latest plan involves either going somewhere in Europe and/or waiting until the last minute and seeing what last minute deals are available, then just going wherever seems interesting.

My daughter is going to Bangkok for spring break (nice beach within a few hours drive in a place called Hua Hin).

Northwest is having sales to Asia.

http://www.nwa.com/

RBS
P.S. My daughter's parents (that would be me and my DH) live in Bangkok. But still, it is the best vacation spot in the world and economical...email me for hotels, etc. if you are interested.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement