UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aleax Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Global Fool Pro Community Winner Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 77101  
Subject: Re: SCPZF: Not all that glitters... Date: 2/10/2013 8:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sprott announced an eye-popping dividend a few weeks back, and it got mentioned on this board as a farmland play. See this link and read the comments as well as the article.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1100951-natural-resources-in...

Alas, it's gone behind a paywall now. Wonder if a freely readable copy exists anywhere. I did read the article back when it was free, but don't recall every detail (it was a long and extremely detailed analysis).

Roughly 25% of Sprott is gold bullion, 25% agriculture (both farms and fertilizer producers), 50% energy.

One can read the financial statement as of end of Sep'12 at http://www.sprottresource.com/Docs/Financial%20Reports/Q3-20... -- and yes, there's a recorded loss, though it's a non-cash loss due to large impairments in investments WestFire and Guide (before they merged to form "Long Run Exploration", which does development and exploration of oil and gas mostly in Alberta).

One Earth Farms actually leases much of its land (from Canada's "First Nations") -- kind of the reverse of a farmland REIT!-)

I bought a very small allocation, but I don't think this is widows and orphans material.

Yep, it's quite an ebullient and very actively managed resources play... should work out fine if prices of gold, food, and/or energy, increase, but it doesn't appear to have much to do with REIT investing. That said, I've also initiated a position, but that's because I aim for a very diversified portfolio -- REITs being only a part of it...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Related Boards
Real Estate Investing
This is a great board for Real Estate other than REITs.

Buying & Selling a Home
Get your personal advice about mortgages, agents, etc. here.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement