UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: opie1313 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189504  
Subject: Spyware Date: 5/8/2003 10:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I read an article in PCMagazine about spyware (March 2003 I think). In case you are unaware, Spyware is the label given to cookies that allegedly track your web surfing. The article detailed the problem of website programmer's adding these cookies without fully disclosing their intent which again is to track your internet activity.

I do not have any problem with a programmer doing this if (s)he gets permission, but I am uncomfortable with the idea that several companies are going to track my family's web surfing activity without my knowledge. I just had a newborn son. So, maybe I am simply in "overprotective mode" of my family's privacy. However, this really bothers me.

So, I took PCMagazine's advice and went with the spyware that they recommended (this one is free if you are interested):

http://security.kolla.de/

I found the program easy to use and within a matter of minutes had it working. True to form, it found over 200 cookies that had been tracking our internet activity. I then selected "Fix selected Problems" and in no time it had these cookies deleted.

Now, my current problem: I occasionally run this anti-spyware program to clean off my computer. It always finds at least 7 spyware cookies on my machine (usually the same 7). I have no trouble wiping them off. However, I would like to find a way to prevent these specific cookies from getting on my computer without eliminating every cookie. (I keep getting the image of Sesame Street's Cookie Monster in my head everytime I use that word, but I digress...)

The anti-spyware program has an "immunize" feature. However, either I am not using it correctly or it is not capable of preventing selected spy-ware cookies from saving themselves on my machine.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading this far down.

- Opie

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement