UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31113  
Subject: Squash bugs again Date: 8/10/2012 9:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is the second year in a row that I've had squash bugs. I hate using pesticides, but that's the only thing that kills them off - they are attacking all cucurbits (this year, only zucchini, yellow crookneck squash and cucumbers).

Last year was the first year I had the little buggers (I've gardened in the same plot for the last six years) and it was also the first (and only) year that I planted pumpkins, so I assumed it was the pumpkins that attracted them (so no pumpkins this year).

Question: do they bury eggs in the soil or something? They were eradicated last year... I'm just wondering if I have to go next year without any cucurbits just to get rid of them??

Thanks,

Jennifer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30305 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 8/11/2012 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Google or Bing can be your friend:

http://www.life123.com/home-garden/gardening-tips/garden-pes...

Prevention and treatment:

http://www.ehow.com/about_7217933_squash-bug-prevention-cont...

Personally, I detest insecticides. The row cover sounds like a good idea. As far as this year, more than likely, I would try the lye soap, canola or neem, but be sure to cover the entire plant.

Good luck,

Donna

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30308 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 8/11/2012 10:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Google or Bing can be your friend:

Yes! I agree 100%

And I look to Google (not Bing though) BEFORE I POST ON TMF.

So thank you for searching on Google for me. Although I have already done that.

HOWEVER, I am posting here because I am smart enough to have done Google already and want a more personal, hands-on, first person type of response.

I am really looking for some more intimate responses - if anyone here has had experience with these silly bugs.

Thanks!

Jennifer

p.s. I just don't understand...I'm **not** trying to be mean, but why do people respond with something they just Googled? There is no experience first hand or second hand...Do people just assume that others are too stupid to Google something? Please help me understand this!!

Author: BanderFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30309 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 8/11/2012 11:35 PM
Jennifer,

I have dealt with squash bugs for several years. Some years are just worse than others. They overwinter as adults, then in the spring and early summer they find your squash plants, start feeding, and laying eggs.

I have had decent luck with handpicking the bugs. It is best to get them early before they start laying eggs. What I do when I go out to water is shower the whole zucchini/squash plant with a spray of water. This startles the bugs a bit and gets them moving, which makes them easier to spot. The cold water slows them down a bit too. I just pick them up and crush them right behind the head with my fingernails. They can release a stink, so I keep the back end pointed away from me and rinse my hands as I go. If this grosses you out, you could just stick them in a jar of soapy water and they will drown. The nymphs (juveniles) are a lighter gray color, and are easier to smush because they are soft bodied.

Chances are you won't get them all so look for eggs on your plants also. These are usually laid in clusters, they are small, bronze colored, and oblong shaped similar to a rugby ball. They are usually laid on the undersides of the leaves but occasionally other places as well. What I do is use my thumbnail to scrape the eggs off of the plants, then crush them or just toss them off in the yard where I know the hatching nymphs won't be able to find food. Be carfeul when scraping the eggs off to not damage the plant. This is usually possible depending on how well the eggs were cemented to the plants by the mother bug.

If the problem gets too far ahead of you, or you have too many plants for hand picking the bugs and eggs, your only option may be to spray insecticide or lose your plants. Unfortunately, I have found that insectides do a poor job of controlling the bugs unless you spray repeatedly, which I don't like to do. The insecticide kills the existing adults and nymphs, but as soon as it wears off new eggs hatch or more adults show up and lay more eggs.

Good luck with your garden snd the squash bugs! If you have any advice on dealing with the squash vine borer, that is my nemesis here. They are murder on any hollow stemmed squash plants and sometimes wipe out my zucchini too.

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30314 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 8/19/2012 5:33 PM
might try Gena hens?

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/(IH)+Poultry.html

Author: Heath185 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30321 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 9/28/2012 4:28 AM
Recommendations: 2
I use coffee grounds. Grounds have kept my eggplant from the flea bettles and my squash from squash bugs. Apparently they hate coffee grounds. Just take your used coffee grounds and place around the main stems.
Vine bore worms are another story. The egg is laid on the stem usually. When they hatch they burrow into the squash and can destroy it almost overnight. Some folks cut the bottom out of a yogurt container or cut a toilet paper roll in half and place it about an inch or so in the ground. This is suppose to protect the stem from the egg laying moth. The moth resembles a wasp but is actually a moth.
Hope this helps in your gardening endeavors.

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30322 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 9/29/2012 10:34 AM
I use coffee grounds. Grounds have kept my eggplant from the flea bettles and my squash from squash bugs. Apparently they hate coffee grounds. Just take your used coffee grounds and place around the main stems.

I can see how this can help when the plants are younger, but what about when they get older and turn in to Audrey II and their leaves are all over the garden? Or is it that they won't be a problem if the bugs don't establish themselves early in the season??

Thanks!

Jennifer

Author: Heath185 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30323 of 31113
Subject: Re: Squash bugs again Date: 9/29/2012 6:05 PM
I have always just kept right on putting the grounds around the plants, after they're larger not just the stems but just spread them around. I have pulled maybe 2 squash bugs off my squash this year.
It is also a good idea to look over the leaves to check for the eggs. The eggs will be easily spotted, but again I haven't had any (save the 2) on my squash this year.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement