UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59181  
Subject: Squirrel population explosion Date: 10/22/2012 9:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What is it with all the squirrel articles lately? Were they always there and I never noticed until now - now that Art has as his goal in life to make sure no squirrel ever sets foot on his property for long?

http://grist.org/list/squirrel-population-explosion-less-cut...
Squirrel population explosion: Less cute than it sounds
We’re not judging the squirrels — they didn’t cause the climate change that made conditions so favorable for their baby boom. But we also refuse to sit there and coo over them when they get in our faces and try to eat our sandwiches.

(original article gone I think)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45901 of 59181
Subject: Re: Squirrel population explosion Date: 10/22/2012 9:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When we first moved to this house there were a few squirrels but by the time we'd been here for ~ 5 years it was ridiculous. They were chewing holes in our eaves, getting in our attick, fireplace, and there were literally hundreds of them. I had to do something. They were turning our house into Swiss Cheese.

Art

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45903 of 59181
Subject: Re: Squirrel population explosion Date: 10/22/2012 11:41 AM
They were chewing holes in our eaves, getting in our attick, fireplace, and there were literally hundreds of them. I had to do something. They were turning our house into Swiss Cheese.
Art

Yikes. I've been hearing something at night--I thought we might have a mouse family in residence, but no sign of droppings or smell in the bedroom or attic above the bedroom. Seems to sound closer than simply on the roof--I thought I was hearing it through the HVAC vent closest to my side of the bed. Maybe they're chewing our eaves at night? I thought squirrels were diurnal. (There's a word for animals that are both diurnal and nocternal, but I can;t remember it except that it doesn't sound like it belongs with diurnal and nocturnal...shouldn't it be biurnal ;-)

=alstro, looking forward to the hubster making progress on the honey-do list...he actually said the other day, "when I pulled into the garage, I wished I had time to clean it out"...that was, hmm, uncharacteristic ;-) But, Yay!

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45906 of 59181
Subject: Re: Squirrel population explosion Date: 10/22/2012 12:01 PM
Yikes. I've been hearing something at night--I thought we might have a mouse family in residence . . .

There are not too many squirrels running around the Sonora desert, so we don't have that problem. But living in the old citrus groves, we do have to watch out for roof rats (http://phoenix.about.com/cs/desert/a/roofrat01.htm). They are large, nocturnal creatures that make bunnies embarrassed about their inadequate breeding rates compared to the rats. They live most of their lives at least 3 feet off the ground - jump from tree to tree, fence to roof, etc. And apparently are able to squeeze through very small holes to get into attics where they gnaw up everything. They are carriers of bubonic plague and typhus. They love citrus, so when you have 16 citrus trees you have to be careful. I'd rather have to deal with squirrels.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45907 of 59181
Subject: Re: Squirrel population explosion Date: 10/22/2012 12:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
"alstro, "looking forward to the hubster making progress on the honey-do list...he actually said the other day, "when I pulled into the garage, I wished I had time to clean it out"...that was, hmm, uncharacteristic ;-) But, Yay!"

Cleaned my wife's bathtub and shower today. We're having company this weekend. It was a big job. She doesn't throw anything away so I just decided to risk it and I tossed all kinds of old stuff out. I also cleaned by shower stall while I was at it. I guess on Friday I'll acid wash the commodes. Makes them all nice and shiny white.

I walked around the house and cleaned out the cobwebs as best I could. I also need to do the dishes sometime today. Dump is closed today or I'd probably haul away the trash too.

Artie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement