No. of Recommendations: 0
Srsly, is your situation so dire you have to quit or you'll blow a gasket?

I've had low blood pressure the majority of my life. Now my BP is pretty high, so that is a health concern.

could you go off on your own as an independent insurance broker?

That would be very challenging. My parental family and I originated and built half of the agency. It takes quite a while and a lot of hoop jumping to build a $1.5 million book of business. I just turned 64, so time isn't particularly on my side, though my energy level is still pretty good.

Are you well off enough to pack it in (retire) or take a less stressful and likely lower paid job?

No.

I'm curious about the abuse--do you mean long hours or are you or someone else being treated harshly, and if so, is it due to something illegal like sexual harassment, religious discrimination, etc?

Long hours don't bother me. Treated harshly is an appropriate term - Coworkers have commented the same, to both me and to him. He even once commented that others have told him that he is rude, not only to me, but other people, and that he thinks it might be the heart medication that he is taking, since experiencing a heart attack 6 or so months ago. I told him I understood.

There's no "sexual harassment" - We are both heterosexual males. There seems to be some racial prejudice. He is African American. I am Caucasian - half German and the other half a mixture of Dutch and a number of other Caucasian nationalities. The market we serve is predominantly African American.

He also seems to have an ego problem and seems to suffer from pretty wide mood swings. I graduated with a BS degree from the Deans College of the University where I studied directly under PhDs and CPAs, with offers to work from Price Waterhouse, Touche Ross, S.D. Leidesdorf and a few smaller CPA firms. He dropped out of high school and served a brief stint in the Army. He claims to be dyslectic and his handwriting is illegible... So, I have some strengths going for me that he lacks, and he has some strengths in being able to better relate to/with the predominantly Black community that we serve.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement