Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Talpas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: SS benefit Date: 4/7/2000 5:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently received a statement from the SS Administration telling me that I have enough credits to qualify for benefits. I currently receive a pension from the state. Will I be able to collect from SS?I worked under SS at different times in my working life.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3446 of 19483
Subject: Re: SS benefit Date: 4/7/2000 5:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Talpas, and welcome. You asked:

<<I recently received a statement from the SS Administration telling me that I have enough credits to qualify for benefits. I currently receive a pension from the state. Will I be able to collect from SS?I worked under SS at different times in my working life. >>

Possibly, but if you worked for the state and did not pay into the system through that work, then your SS benefit will be subject to a pension offset. See the last paragraph in my article at http://www.fool.com/retirement/retireeport/2000/retireeport000327.htm. The links there will take you to the appropriate SSA booklet that explains this issue.

Regards..Pixy

Author: Talpas Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3447 of 19483
Subject: Re: SS benefit Date: 4/7/2000 6:10 PM
Thank you, Pixy, for the prompt reply. The info per the links seem confusing at best. I will call SS Adm. and hope I can talk to a "live" person.Wish me luck!

Author: FooLeon Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3448 of 19483
Subject: Re: SS benefit Date: 4/7/2000 10:05 PM
Talpas,

Just make darn sure you're elegible before you start collecting it. A fellow I worked with (retired Firefighter) Followed the advice of an S.S. customer service rep. who said he was elegible for full S.S. benefits. After collecting for quite some time he recieved a nice letter informing him that he was not elegible for full benefits and he would have to repay $24,000 dollars to the S.S. Wouldn't THAT make your day!

Leon

Author: julieone One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3449 of 19483
Subject: Re: SS benefit Date: 4/7/2000 11:53 PM
You will be eligible for some payment as long as you have the 40 quarters required. Pixy is correct. The payment you would receive will be offset because of receipt of a pension based on work not covered under SS. The offset that applies to you (if you file for retirement benefits) is called the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP). Benefits end up being approximately 50% of what they would have been if you didn't get the pension.

If the form they sent you shows a benefit estimate, the estimate DOES NOT take in to consideration any government or non-covered pensions you might receive. Don't use that figure in any calculations you might run.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement