No. of Recommendations: 0
Some here I have seen prefer to wait until they are 70 for greatly increased state pension, others take it much earlier than full retirement age 66(male) and it obviously depends on one's financial (and/or otherwise) situation. I was trying to work out how long it would take to recoup the amount if one waited. In other words, age being 65, no benefits for 5 years. How many years would it take to break even after 70 years of age?

In my case and with my spouse together(50% of my pension only)$1835 approx per month combined. $22K per annum if I took this now at age 65. Or approx 29K at 70. Or $110,00.00 in "lost"(or rather not realized) income over 5 years.

Also, judging by family history 84-86 life expectancy possibly(hopefully) achievable and not interested in being in a long term care home if disaster struck.

So although we are all different in what we want and hope for, one just never knows what's around the corner and my feeling is to take it now but could be very wrong in my thinking here, so appreciate your thoughts.

Thx. Bran.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement