UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rosietomato Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76394  
Subject: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/11/2001 7:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Whoa! I was listening to NBC news tonight and they had a short segment about retirement income/investment. They ended with the comment that Congress is considering decreasing SS benefits! Is this true and where can I get more info to track this legislation? I, personally, at 50 haven't really been focusing my retirement portfolio around SS income, but my husband has. I want to put more away for retirement, he doesn't see the need. I'm a believer of Warren Buffetts projection that stock investment returns will be reduced to 6 to 7% and not the 10-11% being touted by retirement planners. Am I a 'young' old fogey or what????
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheVlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32800 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/11/2001 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Whoa! I was listening to NBC news tonight and they had a short segment about retirement income/investment. They ended with the comment that Congress is considering decreasing SS benefits! Is this true and where can I get more info to track this legislation?

It is not the congress as far as I know but the Commission on Social Security which is looking at ways to reform SS. Part of what they are looking at is private investment accounts and part is the reduction in benefits to be offset by private accounts. Their projections of offsets are based on the return of 3.5%.

I understand it is hard to stomach the idea of SS benefits reduction but it is inevitable.

SS system will default fairly soon and if nothing is done to tackle this issue, the results will be devastating.

The question is if the political leadership (both Republicans and Democrats) have the guts to deal with it or if they will try to get a short-term political advantage for themselves while pushing the solution further behind when it will be even more painful.

Vlad

Author: jtr56 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32806 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/11/2001 10:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
I understand it is hard to stomach the idea of SS benefits reduction but it is inevitable.

This is the same as discussed before: applies only for future recipients, viz:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20011211/pl/retirement_dc_2.html

cheers!
jtr

Author: boomerwoman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32809 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/12/2001 9:00 AM
To find out about ss changes and to let your opinions
be known, you can visit
www.saveoursecurity.org

boomerwoman

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32810 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/12/2001 9:02 AM
Not Congress -- Bush. Everyone on the committee was hand-picked by him & his advisors. The results were decided before the comittee even started meeting.

If you and your husband are going to be together for the rest of your lives, you should treat your retirement assets as one big pot. If he's not interested in contributing anything to his retirement accounts, you should contribute your money to his accounts.

Author: TheVlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32815 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/12/2001 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 2
To find out about ss changes and to let your opinions
be known, you can visit www.saveoursecurity.org

Hmm...it allows you to let only one type of opinion be known - that which is against SS reform.

The site does not provide any means to voice an independent opinion at all.

So much for the pluralism of ideas on this subject.

Vlad

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32817 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/12/2001 2:31 PM
Recommendations: 3

This is the same as discussed before: applies only for future recipients

Of course it has been discussed before. But the reason it is hard to stomach, politically, is because it has been discussed extensively by democrats (using the 65 and over crowd as a front) as "Don't touch my SS benefits." The fact that it applies only for future recipients mysteriously never makes it into those ads...

- Tom

Author: jtr56 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32822 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/12/2001 10:12 PM
it has been discussed extensively by democrats (using the 65 and
over crowd as a front) as "Don't touch my SS benefits." The fact that it applies only for future recipients mysteriously never makes it into those ads...

Ain't it the truth! And that's just one of the many ways they play dirty.

cheers!
jtr

Author: boomerwoman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32827 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/13/2001 7:51 AM
"The site does not provide any means to voice an independent opinion at all."

You can always voice another opinion to your Congressperson
or Senator on the House or Senate site.
What's important is for everyone to let their opinion be
heard on the subject.
That's how democracy works.

boomerwoman

Author: ralphmiller One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32947 of 76394
Subject: Re: ss changes batted around in Congress? Date: 12/28/2001 1:06 PM
This is a phony crisis, as I have repeatedly pointed out:

http://www.cepr.net/columns/weisbrot/social_security_the_phony_crisis.htm

Always ask: who stands to make a profit?

Ralph Miller

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement