Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19349  
Subject: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/20/2011 5:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Following are the CPI-W numbers for Jul & Aug 2011

Jul - 222.686
Aug - 223.326
Sep - ?

If the CPI-W for Sep 2011 is 223.326, the SS COLA
for 2012 will be 3.5%.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17372 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/20/2011 11:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Very possible. My calculations show about the same. But don't celebrate too much. Medicare, which for most has been frozen at $96 is going to catch up. New enrollees this year are paying about $115. Add inflation adjustment for 2012 and much of the SS increase evaporates.

Not that I don't want a SS increase but I'm not expecting a lot of discretionary spending money out of it.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17373 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/21/2011 3:54 PM
Recommendations: 0
Not holding my breath. Thought there would be no cola this year, only increase in Medicare fees. I currently pay $220+ monthly.

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17375 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/22/2011 4:52 PM
Very possible. My calculations show about the same. But don't celebrate too much. Medicare, which for most has been frozen at $96 is going to catch up. New enrollees this year are paying about $115. Add inflation adjustment for 2012 and much of the SS increase evaporates.

Not that I don't want a SS increase but I'm not expecting a lot of discretionary spending money out of it.

Very true, maybe the best we can hope for is a wash.:)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17376 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/24/2011 5:20 AM
My SIL is THRILLED to be paying one of the higher Medicare premiums. Until she turned 65 this year, she was paying $2000/month in private insurance premiums.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17377 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/24/2011 8:05 AM
My SIL is THRILLED to be paying one of the higher Medicare premiums. Until she turned 65 this year, she was paying $2000/month in private insurance premiums.

Yup! I have a friend who constantly complains about how much she has to pay for Part B, although she certainly gets a lot of bills paid by Medicare. I'd love to be in her situation. Based on what she pays I estimate her income exceeds $200K. What a terrible problem to have!!!

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17378 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/24/2011 11:26 AM
Recommendations: 1
<<My SIL is THRILLED to be paying one of the higher Medicare premiums. Until she turned 65 this year, she was paying $2000/month in private insurance premiums.

Yup! I have a friend who constantly complains about how much she has to pay for Part B, although she certainly gets a lot of bills paid by Medicare. I'd love to be in her situation. Based on what she pays I estimate her income exceeds $200K. What a terrible problem to have!!!>>

Think of all the Gen X, Y and Z workers who are making $8-10/hour who are paying the bills.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17379 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/24/2011 3:37 PM
Recommendations: 16
Think of all the Gen X, Y and Z workers who are making $8-10/hour who are paying the bills.

Sorry but I'm not too sympathetic. I've seen too many of them who feel they are entitled to everything. Watched them bleed Mom and Dad the whole time they were growing up and now in adulthood (supposedly) they are still trying to do it.

I grew up understanding I owed something to the generation who sacrificed to raise and educate me. I paid that debt with interest. Tired of watching spoiled brats (many now apparently in Congress) decide they can just kick Mom and Dad to the curb.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17380 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/24/2011 10:56 PM
<<I grew up understanding I owed something to the generation who sacrificed to raise and educate me. I paid that debt with interest. Tired of watching spoiled brats (many now apparently in Congress) decide they can just kick Mom and Dad to the curb.>>

Frankly, the Baby Boom generation was slickered by the WWII generation into paying unreasonably high taxes to insure that the WWII generation got A LOT more in benefits than they paid for.

I certainly hope Gen X, Y and Z insist that the Boomer generation get what they paid and no more.

Frankly, I think your argument is enormously self serving and selfish.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17381 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/26/2011 7:12 PM

That's how it works. Some may call it Ponzi scheme, but I call it social justice.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17382 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/26/2011 9:27 PM
That's how it works. Some may call it Ponzi scheme, but I call it social justice.

i call it intergenerational tax ..

but 'social justice' works

[ X, Y & Zers (who went to public school) had their educations paid for by us current SSers ]

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17383 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/26/2011 11:26 PM
Recommendations: 2

I'm turning 64 soon and I pay about $535 in premiums. That's for the most expensive policy in OR, the one for people with pre-existing conditions.

Too bad the government didn't let your SIL buy health insurance across state lines.

--fleg, who'd rather continue to pay what he's paying than to pay lower Medicare premiums and face the increasing wait times as docs drop out of Medicare in growing numbers

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17384 of 19349
Subject: Re: SS COLA 2012 Date: 9/27/2011 11:56 AM
"--fleg, who'd rather continue to pay what he's paying than to pay lower Medicare premiums and face the increasing wait times as docs drop out of Medicare in growing numbers "

My insurance dropped from $360/month.....to about the same when I went on Medicare....

now..i went from a private BC/BS individual policy with 2000 deductible, 200 deductible on drug plan.....and 30% copay up to 5K.....

to

no copay...no deductible....Medicare..for about 320/month including cheapier Walmart drug plan (200 deductible) . only med I take is 10 buck a quarter generic.

My doc still takes Medicare....same for the heart doc.....

So far so good....

I'm paying about the same, but will have no deductible. Just got done with stress test and echo-cardiogram...I suspect that would have cost me $2000 before I turned 65. Now, zippo.....plus the heart doc is probably $150/visit or more..now zippo.

On a diet so I don't have to visit too often. Need to lose 15 lbs. Going to be eating lots of salads and frozen low cal dinners. I eat out too much and enjoy it....

t.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement