Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 5:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I stuck a postit in my tax folder last year as a reminder of the $255 SS death benefit for my husband. I didn't get a 1099 G. Is it taxable income and if so, does it just go with Other 1099-G income ?

thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115192 of 121061
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 6:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I stuck a postit in my tax folder last year as a reminder of the $255 SS death benefit for my husband. I didn't get a 1099 G. Is it taxable income and if so, does it just go with Other 1099-G income ?

Picture it. Sophomore year high school English class, discussing past participles under the guidance of Ruby Reed. She gave the infinitive, the student gave and spelled the past participle.

RR: "To sneak."

Student: "Snuk. S-N-U-K"

RR: "There is no such word as 'snuck,' and if there were it would be spelled 'S-N-U-C-K.'"

I digress. I don't think the SS benefit is taxable, but if it is it will appear on the 1099-SSA, not a 1099-G.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115193 of 121061
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 6:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
Um, if you're implying I'm not interested in paying taxes on it, you're wrong. If that was the case, why would I have stuck the postit in to remind me of it ?

I don't think the SS benefit is taxable, but if it is it will appear on the 1099-SSA, not a 1099-G.

He was 59 when he died and about a week away from long term disability so this $255 is it from SSA for him. I haven't seen a 1099-SSA.

I'm really just trying to do my best with things that have been difficult - if I had known the game the bank would play with the $255, I wouldn't have applied for it.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115194 of 121061
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 8:02 PM
Um, if you're implying I'm not interested in paying taxes on it, you're wrong.

Um, no, like I said, I don't think it's taxable. Does anything other than "it must be taxable" make you think it is? You could probably search "death benefit" at www.ssa.gov and find out for sure.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115196 of 121061
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/22/2012 11:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Wouldn't the death benefit be treated similar to life insurance, which is not taxable? Note it is only paid if there is a surviving spouse. Neither the estate nor children or other heirs can collect it if there is no spouse.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 115197 of 121061
Subject: Re: SS Death benefit Date: 2/23/2012 11:10 AM
Neither the estate nor children or other heirs can collect it if there is no spouse.

spouse or child(ren) eligible for benefits

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement