Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: fingfool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19221  
Subject: SS Taxation And Inflation Date: 7/4/2001 7:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I recently posted( http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15113438 )my concerns that the federal tax on Social Security benefits suffers from "bracket creep". A single response to my post led me to believe that either I did not make my point clear or that there is not much interest at this board on the issue. I will attempt one more time to explain my concern.

A few decades back Washington politicians used bracket creep to raise funds to help fund an accelerating growth in government spending without voting for new taxes. It involved the effect of inflation had on increasing taxpayers rates when their constant dollar (adjusted for inflation) incomes were not increasing or even decreasing. When taxpayers became wise to this subterfuge, the politicians had to agree to index the tax rate brackets and deductions to the inflation rate. It certainly appeared to me at the time that those politicians interested in increased government spending were not taking stands against an ever increasing inflation rate.

The 2 thresholds for SS recipients at $32,000 and $44,000 for married couples and $25,000 and $34,000 for singles are not indexed for inflation. This means middle income taxpayers who are receiving SS benefits will pay higher and higher effective tax rates for a constant dollar income as inflation increases. Inflation is an enemy of people on fixed incomes. With the double edged sword of inflation and lack of indexing for the SS thresholds, retired people could become particularly vulnerable to higher inflation rates.

When I e-mailed my congressman on this issue, I was answered with a history on taxation of SS, current legislation pending that deal with taxes on SS and his stand on SS in general. This was good information to receive but it did not directly address my question about the lack of indexing of the thresholds.

Anyone out there besides me concerned about this issue?

Regards,
fingfool

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement