Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone heard of a special classification for
someone who generates their income from trading.
(Something like a professional trader) This
classification allows them to avoid short term capital
gains taxes because they are not seen as capital
gains, but rather as income. I think I read something
about this somewhere, but I can't remember where, and
the more I thought about it I can't believe it is 
true. I mean what then stops the card counter from 
being classified as a pro and not paying gains on 
their winnings? Any help/info is appreciated in 
finding out if 
1. There is such a thing.
2. Where I can find more information on it.

Thanks, I love you guys!!!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.