Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59042  
Subject: Stalled Out on Tesla’s Electric Highway Date: 2/10/2013 2:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Don't think this has been posted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/automobiles/stalled-on-the...

He does all this fun stuff:

Drives 54 on the highway to make his next charging station
In 30F weather has heater shut off
Partial charge at supercharge station takes an hour
Sat in the car for half an hour with heat on low setting to "condition the battery pack"
Car shut down on exit ramp, gets towed to charging station

Sounds like cold weather and electric cars don't mix well...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AjaxofTelamon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40795 of 59042
Subject: Re: Stalled Out on Tesla’s Electric Highwa Date: 2/10/2013 5:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Stalled Out on Tesla’s Electric Highway

From the link:

Three years ago, Steven Chu... secretary of energy, proudly announced a $465 million loan to Tesla as part of an advanced vehicles program intended to cut fossil fuel use and address global warming.

The loan to Tesla would "begin laying the foundation for American leadership in the growing electric vehicles industry," Dr. Chu said.

So, in this worst depression of all time, we the people, loaned Tesla $465 Million to address a non-existent problem and perpetuate the fraud of global warming - A fraud that is targeting the people and tax payers of the US.

...as I limped along at about 45 miles per hour I saw increasingly dire dashboard warnings to recharge immediately. Mr. Merendino, the product planner, found an E.V. charging station about five miles away.

But the Model S had other ideas. "Car is shutting down," the computer informed me. I was able to coast down an exit ramp in Branford, Conn., before the car made good on its threat. ....

How ironic! The car is "shutting down" and our economy seems to be doing the same.

-=Ajax=-

Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40821 of 59042
Subject: Re: Stalled Out on Tesla’s Electric Highwa Date: 2/11/2013 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
So, in this worst depression of all time, we the people, loaned Tesla $465 Million to address a non-existent problem and perpetuate the fraud of global warming

Whether you believe "global warming" exists or is even a problem if it is happening, the goal of creating a viable EV market is addressing more problems than that, such as:

1. As an alternative to oil, EVs can be powered by any number of fuel sources, in case oil sources go away (eventually), get more and more expensive, or have disruptions in supplies due to world events.

2. EVs, by design, are about 2-4x more energy efficient, as measured within the vehicle, thus cheaper to drive based on fuel costs. Of course, the battery cost, size and weight are a big problem that has to be solved.

3. Tailpipe emissions are zero, thus helping air quality in big cities. Even if you argue that the emissions are just moved around to the power plant -- that is a good thing when you look at places like LA. But power plant emissions will be lower due to less energy needed for driving and the fact that power plants run at near peak efficiency all the time as do EVs, while gas cars have to warm up (thus low mpg), have to warm up their catalytic converters, and idle a lot.

4. Diversity of fuel sources is a good thing, whether you are preparing for natural disasters or making things more difficult for terrorists, etc.

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement