UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740259  
Subject: Starbucks and scriptwriters Date: 11/25/2012 3:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
The reports of scriptwriters being barred from Starbucks because of their demeanor is true and necessary. Scriptwriters are the lowest in the entertainment food chain. Remember it was scriptwriters who gave us Waterworld and Ishtar.

I would walk into Starbucks and be besieged. “Script Doctor, help me with this. I and my script are dieing over here.” Or, “Script Doctor, no mojo in the last third so how do I get my mojo back?” Or, “Script Doctor, I spent the advance on a latte and I have not only writer’s block but also an intestinal block.” And other inanities.

One came to me saying, “Script Doctor, this script has Bruce Willis written all over it.” And he was right: eight pages (single sided, double spaced) of two words repeated over and over. ‘Bruce Willis, Bruce Willis, Bruce Willis’.

These poor wretches. Once scriptwriting was a pantheon of great names but now accreditation is a notification of whom to blame. It’s an industry that resumes are rewritten as to picture gross. “No, I didn’t write that script. It was written by someone with a similar name. I was in my parents’ basement at the time.”

Mothers, fathers, don’t send your child into the world to be a scriptwriter. There are other avenues of degradation. Teach them the honorable art of fencepost placement or groundhog rehabilitation – anything but writing scripts, please.

How to tell a scriptwriter is in how they deny being a scriptwriter. A script is not a script but a ‘treatment’. Such treatment should be under the United Nation’s Panel on Grievous Assault.

Feeling pity and at Starbucks I read a ‘script’ that I immediately knew would have a restricted appeal. The title gave it away: Debbie Goes to the Farm and Gets Porked.” Derivative.

Are there any good scripts? Of course there are. Trouble is they are so few that 99.99999999999999 of them are drivel. Nicely typed drivel but drivel nonetheless.

Sitting next to a driveler at Starbucks can affect your whole day.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement