Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Taccount Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252  
Subject: Starting a practice Date: 12/29/2010 4:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Fools,

2010 was not a good for me. On January 4, 2010, the first business day of the new year, I told my boss I passed the last CPA exam and she told me I was being let go. I have applied to just about every employer in the county (barring public accounting firms; I'm not going back to that soul crushing grind) with no results. I had been working with many recruiters and got a few interviews but again, no offers.

My CPA is official I'm starting my own accounting practice. I just purchased Drake tax software and I'm ready to go for this tax season. I was wondering what some veteran CPA's have done to drum up business. Maybe we can start a big thread of ideas and brainstorm on ways to get more clients. My plan is to undercut the big tax guys, do right by my clients, and hope that word of mouth will produce more clients. But what can I do in the mean time? Here is what I have done so far/ will do .

I have sent business cards in my Xmas letters to family and friends.

I have an ad in a church bulletin with affluent parishioners.

I will send out the word on facebook to all my contacts. I will also add my info on LinkedIn.

I will network in busy coffee shops like it's my job, especially on the weekends.

I will actively search out popular Big Box tax preparers locations, and if a line is out the door offer my services at a slight discount.

---

Do you guys and girls have any ideas to add? What advertising have you done in the past that has failed and is a waste of time/money?

Kind Regards,

Taccount
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement