UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ray9640 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Starting Date for Early Withdrawals?? Date: 6/24/2000 10:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The Board (Badger - Are you out there?)

I just retired at 57, early out from my company with full retirement benefits. After 401K rollover, have about $270K, fully invested in equities now. I would like to begin withdrawing about $15K annually, and appear to qualify for the Early Withdrawal provisions in Pub 590. Have a few questions not covered in 590, or confusing...
1. I retired in March 2000. Book says that I wont be eligible for a withdrawal plan under Min Dist method, annuitization or amortization until April 1 of the FOLLOWING year. This wait of 10-months may work a hardship...am I intrepreting the rule right, and/or are there exceptions that would allow an immediate plan to be filed, and withdrawals to begin prior to April next year?

2. 590 does not have annuity nor amort factors. What is the source for these? Anything online that both gives the dividers and the logic for the use of each? Any idea what the IRS pub. number is for the tables, and explanations of usage?

3. The Min Dist plan seems to hinge on the life expectancy method, joint with spouse in my case, and a factor of 32.4...that would allow just over $8000 per year in withdrawals, about half of what I would like to have taken out. However, 590 indicates that the retiree has some leeway for modification of the factors, in order to increase or decrease the annual withdrawal amount...what does this mean? How much leeway, and what are these 'revised' guidelines? Where is this scripted in stone?

4. Conversely, use of the amort/annuity methods seems to cause an excessive amount to be taken out, at least for me. I'm assuming that you can adjust the interest factor downward to reduce the annual withdrawal? Again, this not being in 590, what pub/notice, etc, has the allowables?

thanks in advance, sorry this is so long...

Ray
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement