Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I've got a question about estimated state taxes if one isn't a state resident for the full year.

My oldest kid needed to pay VA estimated taxes last year, and this year as well. However, she is not moving back to VA since she's staying in MA. I've made the first two estimated tax payments, but I wonder if I/she will need to pay the remaining two since she's now going to be living elsewhere.

I'm sure she'll have to file part-year forms for both states, but anyone have any thoughts/experience/advice on her continuing to pay VA taxes?

Anyone?

Thanks!

~~ Alison
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm sure she'll have to file part-year forms for both states, but anyone have any thoughts/experience/advice on her continuing to pay VA taxes?

You could rough in a 760 PY to see if it looks like she's paid enough to cover her 2001 liability. There's no need to make VA estimates on income that VA isn't going to tax.

Phil Marti
No. of Recommendations: 0
You could rough in a 760 PY to see if it looks like she's paid enough to cover her 2001 liability. There's no need to make VA estimates on income that VA isn't going to tax.

Great idea, Phil -- thanks! I'll hit the library after I finish my volunteer gig at the school. It's been real tough work at the career center today -- so much so that I'm spending my time here at the Fool.

~~ Alison
Advertisement