Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I've checked the FAQ and the archive, the previous State of Residence thread addressed some of the issues, and matches what I know of the situation.

In general, having a seperate State or residence from the one of employment probably results in a wash since you have to pay the income tax where you earned it. However, I am heading in to a scenario where I suspect my capital gains will slowly climb to be equivalent to my wage income over the next couple years and eventually exceed it. Since I live in CA, my marginal bracket is 9.3%, NV is 0%. The taxes on my cap gains could be paying for the property necessary to makeit my residence.

What are the main gotchas in trying to reside in another state when I spend the predominant amount of time in my work state? I currently own property in CA.

Thanks, I know I should discuss this in depth with my own tax guy, but want to have a better understanding of the basics before I do.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.