Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently received a refund from my state income taxes. I realize that if I had itemized my deductions for 99, then I would have deducted my state income tax. Therefore, then, my state refund would need to be declared as income for 2000. I understand this point.

The thing that I am not sure is that if I used the standard deduction for my 99 taxes, do I still need to claim my state refund as income for 2000? Does the Fed govt. assume that state income tax is included in the standard deduction?

Somewhat confused.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.