Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8174  
Subject: State Schools: In State vs Out Admissions Date: 4/7/2012 3:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there any sort of preference given to out of state applicants at state schools, given that they will pay significantly more? We were surprised when Eldest was offered only a satellite campus rather than main campus for Penn State, (though he could have gotten in to main with a summer start,) even though his GPA and SATs blew the average out of the water. At the same time, his scores were weak compared to the average at Georgia Tech, where he was accepted at twice the money of a GA resident. He does have a nice tech resume though, outside of school, and can write an excellent essay.

At a meet and greet we went to locally, we were told there were over 14,000 applicants for 2,500 spots. Can't help but wonder, particularly given the GA economy, if the extra $20K per year we pay is a booster.

The best news is that Eldest realizes he needs to keep it in high gear, which he is very capable of, if he wants to succeed there. Their high freshman retention percentage at GT is comforting as well. They do a lot to help the kids adjust.

IP
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jh4986 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7956 of 8174
Subject: Re: State Schools: In State vs Out Admissions Date: 4/8/2012 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Inparadise.

This is UC data from last year. I have not found the data for 2012 yet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/university-of-calif...

The trend in California is to increase out-of-state and international students. My daughter was very disappointed by the rejection from UCB, and waitlisted by UCLA though she has a good SAT score and placed 9th of a school of 800. Only the first placement boy got in UCB this year from her school.

I only recently found this site: College Confidential. Maybe you have an account there already. There are a lot more foot traffic there.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7957 of 8174
Subject: Re: State Schools: In State vs Out Admissions Date: 4/12/2012 7:22 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the link. It triggered me to google the subject and come up with this:

As he sees more flagships trying to attract out-of-state students, he said, he'll adjust his recommendations to students, suggesting that it may be worth applying to an out-of-state flagship that might have been out of reach academically before. "I'll tell them 'you might not have gotten in before, but you might now, and by the way, if you don't need financial aid, you've got a better shot.' "

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/10/16/outofstate

I suspect Eldest benefited from this. We had actually considered buying a vacation property in GA a couple of years ago, in part with the potential to get in state tuition for him at GT, which he already had high on his list. His applying as in state might have worked against his getting in, which means the difference in tuition would not have helped pay the mortgage, an argument for the investment. We now own a property in VA, and are again considering splitting residency, to give Youngest more choice of lower cost schools. We intend to move there as soon as he graduates high school, so it would be much easier for us for him to be at school in VA than here in PA. I'll need to think more on that, but the need for action is a couple of years away anyway.

One thing for sure, this preference for out of state applicants seems real, which means that parents looking to fund their child's education may not so easily have that in state school tuition as an option if the kid is not a very strong applicant.

IP

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement