Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mkipp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121335  
Subject: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/6/2000 6:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Please help!
Last year I began working for a company based in Georgia. I maintain a residence in California but only get to go home once every five weeks for a week. To make things more interesting my actual job sites have placed me in 15-20 different states and I have never actually worked in Georgia or visited the office there. My question is simply this "To whom do I send my state taxes?". When I was hired I was sent a Georgia witholding form and I indicated that I wanted no deductions because I expected to have no Georgia tax liability. I had just planned on having to pay California taxes, but now I'm really nervous. Was I wrong or can I start sleeping easy again? Thanks in advance for any help!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31056 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/6/2000 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< Last year I began working for a company based in Georgia. I maintain a residence in California but only get to go home once every five weeks for a week. To make things more interesting my actual job sites have placed me in 15-20 different states and I have never actually worked in Georgia or visited the office there. My question is simply this "To whom do I send my state taxes?". When I was hired I was sent a Georgia witholding form and I indicated that I wanted no deductions because I expected to have no Georgia tax liability. I had just planned on having to pay California taxes, but now I'm really nervous. Was I wrong or can I start sleeping easy again? >>

You're a full-year California resident and will pay CA tax on all your income. You don't need to worry about GA just because your employer is there. It sounds like you bounced around enough not to have to worry about the states where you physically worked, but without all the details it's impossible to say for sure. I would suggest you not worry about it, but keep your detailed records of your travels should questions arise.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: shortamzn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31059 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/6/2000 8:45 PM
Did you actually get CA tax withheld from your paychecks? What state(s) showed up on your W-2(s) and was there any state tax withheld? Just curious.

Author: mkipp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31174 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/7/2000 8:23 PM
No state taxes were witheld. I've planned ahead to meet my obligations to California, but maybe this is a problem too? I'm shure the state would like to hold my money in a nice safe interest bearing account for me. Oh no, now you've got me woried again. Should I be?

Thanks in advance
MR Kipp

Author: mkipp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31175 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/7/2000 8:27 PM
Ooops, sorry. Ga. does appear in box 16 of my w2, but again no witholding.
MR Kipp

Author: shortamzn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31215 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/8/2000 6:31 AM
Since you have never been in GA and never worked there, even if you hear from the tax man there, I think you have a pretty good explanation, that can be backed up by your work history. I don't know what you mean about providing for your CA taxes. If you paid estimated taxes during the year, you may be straight. If not, they will probably assess a penalty and interest, because you haven't paid withholding on your wages through the year. If you aren't handling the tax liability in CA through estimated payments, you'll want to call your payroll department and start getting CA taxes taken out now, if they will. if not, get info on paying estinmated quarterly taxes from CA.

Author: mkipp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31273 of 121335
Subject: Re: State Tax Liability for a migrant worker Date: 3/8/2000 8:52 PM
Thanks!
That pretty well sets me streight. I didn't pay estimateds to Ca so I guess I'll have to deal with the penalties, but it shure feels better to know what position I'm in.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement