Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I live in NC but work in VA. I have some small amount of NC taxes from a monthly retirement check I receive but 90% of my income comes from a VA company.

So when I file my NC taxes I end up paying a penalty because I haven't paid enough taxes throughout the year (regardless that I settle up at years end).

My question is that I get a refund from VA taxes (which I end up sending to NC) but not a 100% refund. So am I actually paying VA taxes or are they sending that money to NC?

I want to reduce my VA taxes and start making quarterly payments to NC to prevent getting penalized but wasn't sure as to what level I could reduce them or even how much NC tax I need to pay quarterly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.