Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I moved to NY from California in 2002, however I received unemployment benefits from the State of California until May 2003.

I do not have a w-2 from NY (my husband and I have a New York business).

My husband has a 1099 and W-2 for 2003. We have a sole-proprietor LLC.

Am I required to file a California return, even though my husband and I will file joint Federal and New York State returns? If so, will we have to file a joint California return even though he did not receive any California income in 2003?

An advance "Thank you" for any help!

sliclec
Print the post Back To Top
I moved to NY from California in 2002, however I received unemployment benefits from the State of California until May 2003.

California doesn't tax unemployment benefits. So if that is your only California source income, I don't see a need to file there.

--Peter

California doesn't tax unemployment benefits. So if that is your only California source income, I don't see a need to file there

I did choose to have taxes withheld from my unemployment benefits, so I guess I should file to get that returned to me? Or, will I be able to claim partial credit towards NY state taxes?
No. of Recommendations: 3
I did choose to have taxes withheld from my unemployment benefits, so I guess I should file to get that returned to me? Or, will I be able to claim partial credit towards NY state taxes?

Take another look at your 1099 for the UI benes. That is Federal tax they withheld, not state. California will not withhold state taxes from unemployment benefits.

--Peter
Advertisement