Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here is a somewaht complex question.

Six months ago, I moved to CA to take a job at a start-up company. I own a home in IL, and my wife remained there. I spent 6 months working in CA, where I maintained an apartment, and spent every other weekend in IL.

During the past 6 months, my employer used my CA residence in reporting wages, and deducted CA state taxes, etc.

Recently, the company essentially failed (but has not filed bankruptcy), I resigned from my position, and I am back in IL. I still maintain the apartment in CA, but that is another story.

So, how am I going to deal with taxes this year, any advice on how to deal with it? I incurred moving expenses amounting to around $5,000, but I believe these are not deductable because I was not employed for 39 weeks in 12 months (unless I get a new job in CA very soon.)

My wages for that 6 months were approximately $30,000 (we were a start-up.)

I think the best thing to do would be to declare my permanent residence in IL throughout that time period, and file state returns for CA and IL (something I have to do anyway), and try to get a refund of CA state and city taxes paid

Any advice concerning this? Also, I probably need to get an account familiar with multi-state residences and tax issues. My accountant, while good, is probably not familiar with this type of situation.



Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.