No. of Recommendations: 0
The DW and I are planning a few days in Portland, and having never been there before, I'm looking for ideas on places to stay which may be within walking distance of shopping, restaurants, etc. Would prefer to be near the water if possible.
Print the post Back To Top
I think it's the Regency that is in old armory building right in the heart of the old port, lobby seems really nice. Then there is the Portland Harbor Hotel right on the edged of the old port, again the lobby seemed nice. Then there is the Eastland Hotel (or Eastland Park Hotel) which is right in the Arts district, again seems nice from the lobby.

From anything of those hotels you can walk the whole "city". Have a nice trip!
Thanks for the reply. Is the "old port" area of the city the recommended area to stay in, and if so, just where within the city is it?
Thanks again.
It's a very small city, so anywhere on the peninsula will put you walking distance from everything. The Old Port and the Arts District are where you are going to find most of the shopping, dining and entertainment.

I'll post a link to google maps at the end. The old port is roughly between the following streets Commercial, Congress, Franklin and Temple.

The Arts District runs along Congress Street from about Temple to a little past State Street.

You can see on the map there are 6 hotels on the Peninsula. Of those 3 are around the Old Port, 2 are around the Arts District and 1 is really nearing the edge of walking distance.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q...
Thanks for the help.
If you are walking, I would add the Hilton Garden Inn on Commercial Street and the Holiday Inn by the Bay to the list.

The "Old Port" is a shopping, restaurant and nightlife area come quick while lobster is $4 a lb.

You can get anywhere without too much trouble, in an auto or by walking or bus. Have fun.
Advertisement