UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (72) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59777  
Subject: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Uh no - not the ball room dancing kind of socially active - though that's kinda cool too ...

No I was thinking more along the lines of Lillian Carter who joined the Peace Corps in her late 60's. However, I don't think volunteering is something that people reserve for retirement. I think that people who have always been volunteers, do-gooders just find more time for it once they reach retirement age. I think that if you have not been soaked through and through with the idea that volunteering and "good works" is something that has to be part of your daily life just like exercise or brushing your teeth, then upon retirement you are not going to suddenly be visited with the urge to run out and dedicate a year or two to nursing the sick of Calcutta. But if "good works" is always something that you've gravitated towards then retirement can be a great time to finally get a chance to do it right.

Now I don't mean to knock it but the volunteer opportunities they have for people of a certain age in my area seem pretty boring (for me - no doubt they are just the right cup of tea for others) ... we've got Grannies in the Classroom, volunteering at the Senior Citizen's center where the old folks entertain the even older folks ... uhm OK Friends of the Library - I do appreciate that one; great fun if you're a book lover ...

But every know and then don't we yearn to do something a bit more ... exotic. Like Miss Lillian? Give up a summer on an archeological dig? work to preserve a medieval castle on the banks of the Loire? start a one woman program to take ghetto children to the opera?

Can we have a prize for the person who comes up with the most entertaining volunteer opportunity out there?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kaudrey Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 151 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 11:41 AM
I think it's a great idea!

I will say that my parents didn't volunteer when they were working, but they both do volunteer work where they live now.

My mom is on the arts council committee and she knits hats for the local Breast Cancer Society chapter. (She's a two time survivor herself).

My dad manages a rock mine, acts as the art council's CFO, and is helping the historical society restore an old barn.

I volunteer with several groups, and have always planned to do something more structured once I retire (but that won't be for 15 years for me).

There's a website that's called volunteer vacations or something like that (a google search would probably bring it up). I've thought about doing a few of those, even while I'm still working.

Karen

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 11:51 AM
There's a website that's called volunteer vacations or something like that (a google search would probably bring it up). I've thought about doing a few of those, even while I'm still working.

There is a huge need for help in New Orleans. Our UU church group has made trips down there to help clean up and muck out devastated houses. It's real work, but very worthwhile. Even after more than a year New Orleans still looks like hell.
Ted

Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 157 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 12:16 PM
Peace Corps has no upper age limit.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 164 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
Can we have a prize for the person who comes up with the most entertaining volunteer opportunity out there?

I vote for the Fool who volunteers to be a guinea pig for clinical trials of new surgical procedures. Cousin Barbara, who loves Discovery's blood & gore channel, would watch. I guess that counts as entertainment.

Entertainment is most certainly in the eye of the beholder. A good friend of mine is spending retirement devouring books. It's the same entertainment he pursued while working, but now he has a lot more time to devote to it.

Since I can't find people to play bridge with my entertainment is cooking. I'm plowing my way through recipes that I've collected over the years but never had time to try.

Phil

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 12:48 PM

Entertainment is most certainly in the eye of the beholder. A good friend of mine is spending retirement devouring books. It's the same entertainment he pursued while working, but now he has a lot more time to devote to it.

This is what AngelSpouse wants to do -- read.
We also think it would be fun to get an RV and toodle around the country for a while seeing all the places we've never had a chance to see before.

AM

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 213 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 4:43 PM
We also think it would be fun to get an RV and toodle around the country for a while seeing all the places we've never had a chance to see before.

And I'd rather take gas than cross the threshold of an RV. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Phil

enjoying land-based wanderings in the Geezermobile and motels since 1997

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 216 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 5:13 PM

And I'd rather take gas than cross the threshold of an RV. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Phil

Well, it will be a lot easier taking the kitty along if we have an RV. Much tougher if you stay in motels.

AM

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 5:32 PM

We use the MomMobil™ and a tent; no problem securing the KillerWestie™'s leash to a handy mesquite tree to patrol the campsite and plenty of space to set up the telescope and camp chairs.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 218 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 5:34 PM
Recommendations: 3
AngelMay writes,

Well, it will be a lot easier taking the kitty along if we have an RV. Much tougher if you stay in motels.

I've travelled all over the US and Canada with my dog Lupo and never had a problem finding a motel.

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/lupoyukon.html

intercst

Author: shortstop14 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 219 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 5:34 PM

Not sure if 'entertaining' actually describes it, but I work with a lot of retired people in the disaster services section of my local Red Cross chapter. For some of them, it can be close to a full time job, actively responding to local disasters (house and apartment fires, etc.) and maintaining the infrastructure for responding. And there are lots of functions that need to be covered, from public affairs and government liaisons to food service and shelter management.

And after getting some experience in the various specialties, you can also sign up to be deployed to disasters across the country.

I enjoy the work, although I'm not retired yet so I only work on local response. And since I'm 50, it's nice to work with a group where I'm considered a youngster.

shortstop14

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 225 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 6:37 PM
Recommendations: 1
Well, it will be a lot easier taking the kitty along if we have an RV.

Sainted brother and SIL have what I refer to as the Queen Mary. Think a C&W singer's tour bus on steroids. They got it because SIL can't bear to be parted from the four cats and one yappy little ratlike dog.

Phil

certified animal lover since 1902, except for yappy little ratlike dogs

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 227 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 6:44 PM

AM

Something I've always wondered...

Do RV's have separate batttery/generator something for heating and A/C for when the vehicle is turned off that keeps the cats/dogs/other pets safe while the humans are out sightseeing?

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/2/2007 11:14 PM
Give up a summer on an archeological dig? work to preserve a medieval castle on the banks of the Loire? start a one woman program to take ghetto children to the opera?

http://www.earthwatch.org/site/pp.asp?c=8nJELMNkGiF&b=1322375

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 240 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/3/2007 2:43 PM

Way cool, ogrecat. You get my vote.

Vickifool

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 245 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/3/2007 5:18 PM
I have a couple of friends who volunteer at the Museum of Natural History -- and love it.

http://www.amnh.org/

One is a retired psychiatrist and the other a retired social worker -- the Museum gives terrific training. One friend says it's probably an advantage not having a science background b/c you can more easily understand questions from people taking the tour.

I'm considering volunteering at the Rubin Museum (art of the Himalayas) -- not sure if they'll take me, but I volunteered for several years at the Met, so that might be a plus. I do have an interest in the art and it's within walking distance of my apartment.

Another idea is a group which helps newcomers to the US get acclimated -- http://www.intlcenter.org/volunteer.htm
I have a neighbor who volunteers here and really enjoys it.

I've done the food pantry and soup kitchen work and will probaly spend a few hours each week doing it when I retire but I'm also looking for something with a more "cultural" bent.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 1:49 AM
Something I've always wondered...

Do RV's have separate batttery/generator something for heating and A/C for when the vehicle is turned off that keeps the cats/dogs/other pets safe while the humans are out sightseeing?

We discussed this on another board recently. Of course they run their generator while their pets are inside, anything else would be evil and unlawful.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 257 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 10:52 AM

Way cool, ogrecat. You get my vote.

Mine as well. My problem with groups like earthwatch though is that the volunteer activities are so much fun I don't feel like I'm really "volunteering". That said, I am seriously eyeing the Mammoth Dig for families that's going on in Utah. Thanks Ogrecat!

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 258 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 11:20 AM
My problem with groups like earthwatch though is that the volunteer activities are so much fun I don't feel like I'm really "volunteering".

You don't have to "suffer" for it to count, sissylue.

The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example. Or maske's Book 'Em.

My husband and I volunteer a lot. He likes to do things that require research and can be done alone. For example, he took on a job compiling a calendar of events and has done it for about 15 years now. I did it for a year before he did and found it frustrating and unrewarding. He looked into volunteering with the ACLU because he believes civil rights are vital, but it was a bad fit.

I volunteer to lead singing and teach workshops, which he would consider torture. For many groups, I make sure the members know when the next meeting is to be held.

Now that we are both retired, we have time for a few more volunteer activities.

Vickifool

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 1:24 PM
Recommendations: 6
The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example. Or maske's Book 'Em.

And intercst--with his Retire Early Home Page and boards and information and experience he shared openly and freely. Spot on information too, how rare is that! Bless him.

I did a little volunteering when I first retired but quickly decided it wasn't for me. I am happy and content to just live quietly and appreciate things I didn't have time to appreciate while working. Appreciating the works of others (REHP, books, music for example), perhaps contemplating various things in solitude or simply just Being can be great fun, rewarding, can make the world a better place (at least you're not out there causing trouble <g>) and can yield a glad heart when it suits you.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 1:33 PM
Recommendations: 3
The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example.
-------------------
I hope it's OK if I say something even though I'm from "that other board".

I went through a lot of false starts before I ended up rehabbing songbirds. All with the same organization. First I worked on the hotline. Later, I got dragooned into co-running the hotline AND (in a moment of weakness - I was on Percocet) agreeing to be on the board of directors. That was a big mistake (I'm not the right type), but it did allow me to see how non-supportive the board was of the hotline and rehabbers in general. Quite a shock.

So I quietly faded away and became a rehab apprentice and later full up rehabber. I enjoy it very much, but it took 3 years to get there.

Finding the right fit isn't always easy.

arrete

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 271 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:00 PM

Sure is.

Nice post, BTW. Very much "on topic."

Vickifool

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 272 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:11 PM
The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example.
-------------------

I went through a lot of false starts before I ended up rehabbing songbirds. All with the same organization. First I worked on the hotline. Later, I got dragooned into co-running the hotline AND (in a moment of weakness - I was on Percocet) agreeing to be on the board of directors. That was a big mistake (I'm not the right type), but it did allow me to see how non-supportive the board was of the hotline and rehabbers in general. Quite a shock.

So I quietly faded away and became a rehab apprentice and later full up rehabber. I enjoy it very much, but it took 3 years to get there.

Finding the right fit isn't always easy.

arrete

It's interesting that almost everything I've been interested in seems to be run by people who all have god-complexes or something. Their way is the only way. They get sniffy and huffy when other ways of doing things are suggested.

People tend to get their little niches and they dig in - and they don't want any newcomer rocking their boats. I've seen this in churches (of all places) and in political parties and in boards of communities and in small groups who meet for fun.

The big picture seems to get crushed under the egos who want to be (have to be) in charge.

Makes napping on the sofa under my blankie seem like a really peaceful, pleasant, and comfortable thing to do. And my cat thinks it's just wonderful. She likes taking naps with mommie under the blankie.

AM

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 273 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:38 PM

We discussed this on another board recently. Of course they run their generator while their pets are inside, anything else would be evil and unlawful.

Okay I'm glad to know that you discussed this on another board already, but I have no idea what board you are talking about. I have aboslutely no doubts that AM and others that love their pets would not ensure their safety. I was not thinking they'd leave them in a parked vehicle where they could die. I was simply asking out of curiousity if RV's have a separate battery/generator something for heating and a/c for when the vehicle is turned off. I have never been inside an RV and have not searched out literature so have no clue.

StarWarrior Rie

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:42 PM
I have aboslutely no doubts that AM and others that love their pets would not ensure their safety

I hope people know I meant that they would ensure their pets safety.

Sigh...
StarWarrior Rie

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 275 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:47 PM
I was simply asking out of curiousity if RV's have a separate battery/generator something for heating and a/c for when the vehicle is turned off. I have never been inside an RV and have not searched out literature so have no clue.

StarWarrior Rie

I lived in an travel trailer in college in Phoenix in the 70s, and didn't take the family chihuahua because I was worried that it got too hot for her in the daytime, even with the window cracked.

I didn't chime in earlier because technology marches on. Most people in Phoenix only had swamp coolers back then.

Vickifool

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 276 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 2:51 PM
I was simply asking out of curiousity if RV's have a separate battery/generator something for heating and a/c for when the vehicle is turned off. I have never been inside an RV and have not searched out literature so have no clue.

They have separate generators, they can also be plugged in, some have solar panels.

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 277 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:20 PM
I didn't chime in earlier because technology marches on. Most people in Phoenix only had swamp coolers back then.

Vickifool

I think I am going to sound even dumber here. What's a Swamp Cooler???

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 278 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:21 PM
They have separate generators, they can also be plugged in, some have solar panels.

Cool. Thanks for the information.
Solar panels on a vehicle...wow.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 279 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:24 PM
What's a Swamp Cooler???

Evaporative cooler. A fan pulls air through something wet and blows the air into the house. These things work just fine in really dry climates. We had a big one on the roof when we lived in Lubbock (west Texas) about 20 square feet of pads made of something that resembled hay, with water trickling down to keep the pads wet.
Ted

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 280 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:32 PM

What's a Swamp Cooler???

Evaporative cooler. A fan pulls air through something wet and blows the air into the house. These things work just fine in really dry climates. We had a big one on the roof when we lived in Lubbock (west Texas) about 20 square feet of pads made of something that resembled hay, with water trickling down to keep the pads wet.

i had them in Arizona..... in my experience, they need VERY dry... worked fine in Tucson, not so well in Phoenix.

-b
...... interesting ecological trade-off. Uses much less electricity than A/C ...but uses alot of water .... and places with dry climates tend to be short on water.

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 281 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:36 PM
Ted

Cool. Never heard of them before. Is it better than A/C? Cheaper?

I never actually had A/C in a home of mine til I lived in Georgia. Now living in Texas I can't imagine not having A/C.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 3:37 PM
...... interesting ecological trade-off. Uses much less electricity than A/C ...but uses alot of water .... and places with dry climates tend to be short on water.

Woudn't be good here then.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 284 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 5
arrete: I hope it's OK if I say something even though I'm from "that other board".

You are one of the better ones from there. I almost never understand what you're saying, but you seem like a nice person.

cliff
8^)

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 285 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 5:19 PM
I have aboslutely no doubts that AM and others that love their pets would not ensure their safety

I hope people know I meant that they would ensure their pets safety.

Sigh...
StarWarrior Rie

We did. :)
And, of course, if you are staying in a nice cool climate there is no reason to use the generator. Just leave a window partially open for fresh air and the pet will be just a fine as you would be yourself. :)

AM

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 286 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 5:33 PM
I almost never understand what you're saying,
----------------------
I didn't realize I was that incoherent. Like what? I'll try to translate (if it isn't too OT). I used to teach economics, so maybe that's the problem. :) People at parties would ask what I did, and as soon as I said "economics", they'd say "I hated that course." Kind of a conversation stopper.

arrete

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 287 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 5:37 PM

----------------------
I didn't realize I was that incoherent. Like what? I'll try to translate (if it isn't too OT). I used to teach economics, so maybe that's the problem. :) People at parties would ask what I did, and as soon as I said "economics", they'd say "I hated that course." Kind of a conversation stopper.

Cliff may be confused.

your ID is similar to "art's" .... *i* rarely understand what he's saying. and used to confuse the two of you.

..think you're both nice.

-

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 288 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 5:45 PM
your ID is similar to "art's" .... *i* rarely understand what he's saying. and used to confuse the two of you.

Art's a nice guy, but he became very strange a few years back. Every topic is now an excuse to either talk about life after death or the "holographic universe." The first one is easy to understand, even if you think it's wishful thinking. The second... well, it seems incoherent at best.

- Gus

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 289 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 6:31 PM
----------------------

arrete

Heh. Actually, I usually understand your words, but sometimes you speak of things spiritual which elude me.

No offense intended.

cliff

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 290 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 6:32 PM
Heh. Actually, I usually understand your words, but sometimes you speak of things spiritual which elude me.

Oops! You're not art?

'scuse me.

cliff

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 291 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 6:35 PM
Oops! You're not art?

Rick Springfield, not Bruce Springsteen.

- Gus

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 299 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 9:52 PM
We did. :)

Phew.

And, of course, if you are staying in a nice cool climate there is no reason to use the generator. Just leave a window partially open for fresh air and the pet will be just a fine as you would be yourself. :)

AM

Yeah, that much I figured, but as I live where cool is a winter thing only I wondered about the other. Now it's been explained to me I may think about RVing it sometime. I hate leaving my Furkids.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 300 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 10:10 PM

Art's a nice guy, but he became very strange a few years back. Every topic is now an excuse to either talk about life after death or the "holographic universe." The first one is easy to understand, even if you think it's wishful thinking. The second... well, it seems incoherent at best.

- Gus
---------------

I guess we all look (or sound) the same.

arrete

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 301 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 10:33 PM

---------------

I guess we all look (or sound) the same.

arrete

just the user IDs....

*i* get lots of posters confused.

-b
...... in both senses <g>

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 303 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 10:47 PM

Yeah, that much I figured, but as I live where cool is a winter thing only I wondered about the other. Now it's been explained to me I may think about RVing it sometime. I hate leaving my Furkids.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Me, too.
We don't yet have an RV, but we are seriously thinking of getting one. There are so many places here in the western USA that I would love to see and it would be really cool to be able to take my "baby" with us.

I have no delusions or illusions about it, though. I know going in that we will never get anywhere near our money back out of it when we are finally tired of motoring around and decide to sell it. That's important to realize right up front, I think.

But having an RV will allow us to go to wonderful places off the beaten path and always be able to sleep on our own sheets at night. Something to be said for that.

We just need to find the right RV for us. And we will when the time is right.

AM

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 304 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 10:55 PM
Here's someplace you can go. Not too far from AM and our other Pacific Northwesterners. Just across into Canada.

http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/HARRISONSandCastles01.html

Sand Castle Art.
Ted

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 307 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/4/2007 11:26 PM
Here's someplace you can go. Not too far from AM and our other Pacific Northwesterners. Just across into Canada.

http://www.greatervancouverparks.com/HARRISONSandCastles01.html

Sand Castle Art.
Ted

How perfectly amazing and marvelous!
Thanks, Ted!

AM

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 330 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 10:56 AM
I think I am going to sound even dumber here. What's a Swamp Cooler???

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Not dumb. It's an older technology and no one can keep up with all technology from all time.

On a hot day, if the humidity is low, you can wet a towel and hang it over the window, and it will cool down your room. Put a fan behind it, and it works even better.

A Swamp Cooler is also known as an evaporative cooler. Typically, there is a box with a vented side, a fiber pad (jute? something organic anyway) and a fan. A small water line drips water over the pad.

Using it makes the air in the town moister, but doesn't make the town hotter like heat pumps (what I think of as regular air conditioners) do.

Vickifool

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 331 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 11:06 AM
I used to teach economics, so maybe that's the problem. :) People at parties would ask what I did, and as soon as I said "economics", they'd say "I hated that course." Kind of a conversation stopper.

arrete

That's too bad. I think a lot of the country's problems could be solved by applying economics plus ethics. For example, one publicly-funded baby heart-lung transplant probably costs the same as vaccinating every child in the county for everything we have vaccines for, and the long-term benefits are greater. But that's getting into politics.

I once found a site that applied economic methods to interesting problems, but I can't remember if I saved it or what I filed it under. Too bad.

Oh, and I usually understand what you are saying. Even when you are talking about birds.

Vickifool

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 333 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 11:17 AM
I have no delusions or illusions about it, though. I know going in that we will never get anywhere near our money back out of it when we are finally tired of motoring around and decide to sell it. That's important to realize right up front, I think.

Buy a used RV to start with, AM. That will help.

Vickifool

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 344 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 12:05 PM
Sweet!

http://www.earthwatch.org/site/pp2.asp?c=dsJSK6PFJnH&b=1170771

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 369 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:04 PM
Sweet!

http://www.earthwatch.org/site/pp2.asp?c=dsJSK6PFJnH&b=1170771

Looks like fun.
Come up and see me someday and we'll take a day trip to the San Juans to see the whales. There are a couple (at least) of pods that come there every summer.

Not as exciting as the Hebrides to be sure... but still pretty nice.

AM

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 377 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:34 PM
Come up and see me someday and we'll take a day trip to the San Juans to see the whales. There are a couple (at least) of pods that come there every summer.

It's about now-time for the migrations, no?

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 378 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:37 PM
-----

Consider 'pre-owned'. I have a friend who bought one of those beasts the size of a Greyhound VistaCruiser. It had sections that 'expanded' the living room and bedroom when it was parked. Full bath, plus a washer and dryer set-up. The kitchen had a dishwasher. It had two generators, one being for 'back-up'. I swear, it was larger than some apartments I've had.
Anyway, he had it for about a year when he developed throat cancer (survived, doing well) and had to sell it, just because of the maintenance required. He said he lost about $60, 000 on it. He bought a smaller (about 2/3 the size) one, no 'expando' rooms, one generator. Just smaller all around. He said he bought it 'used' (but I couldn't see any evidence of use) for about 1/2 what he would have paid for a new one the same size.

Might be worth checking into.

But having an RV will allow us to go to wonderful places off the beaten path and always be able to sleep on our own sheets at night. Something to be said for that.
-----
Ditto. Absofrikkinlutely ditto. ;-)

Rich

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 382 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:49 PM

I'm not exactly sure when they arrive.
But it's still too cold right now for a pleasant outing on the open water.

I went (with best friend) in June a couple of years ago and it was quite nice. I know the boats here run all summer. You can go for a half day -- just up, see the whales, and back (about 3 hours or so I think) -- or you can do a most of the day trip, see the whales, toodle into Friday Harbor, have lunch, then back through the islands and back here.

As I said, it wouldn't compare to the Hebrides, but for one day out it's a pleasant little trip. And, if you have a passport (which is needed these days), you can always take the ferry over to Victoria and spend the day there.

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 383 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:52 PM

Consider 'pre-owned'. I have a friend who bought one of those beasts the size of a Greyhound VistaCruiser. It had sections that 'expanded' the living room and bedroom when it was parked. Full bath, plus a washer and dryer set-up. The kitchen had a dishwasher. It had two generators, one being for 'back-up'. I swear, it was larger than some apartments I've had.
Anyway, he had it for about a year when he developed throat cancer (survived, doing well) and had to sell it, just because of the maintenance required. He said he lost about $60, 000 on it. He bought a smaller (about 2/3 the size) one, no 'expando' rooms, one generator. Just smaller all around. He said he bought it 'used' (but I couldn't see any evidence of use) for about 1/2 what he would have paid for a new one the same size.

Might be worth checking into.

We definitely don't want a huge monster. Friends have a 24-ft. RV and they love it. They are in Mexico now and having quite a good time in that little thing. I wouldn't mind something between 24 and 27 feet ... something in that range. It's a little scary thinking about trying to maneuver anything bigger. I have enough trouble just backing up the Subaru when I make a trip to the local dump. :)

AM

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 387 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 1:58 PM
As I said, it wouldn't compare to the Hebrides, but for one day out it's a pleasant little trip. And, if you have a passport (which is needed these days), you can always take the ferry over to Victoria and spend the day there.

Since I have a passport, I could drive down to Baja and do the same ;)

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 390 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 2:03 PM

Since I have a passport, I could drive down to Baja and do the same ;)

Well, dang! :)

AM

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 396 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 2:13 PM
Well, dang! :)

It's only in the last week or so that you need a passport to come back from Mexico. PITA.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 401 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 2:19 PM

It's only in the last week or so that you need a passport to come back from Mexico. PITA.

Yep. And because of this, I've wondered recently about that little teensy section of Washington State that hangs off of Canada and is not connected to any other land. Do the residents there -- all of them -- have to have a passport to drive up through Canada and back down into the United States for them to go to school or work? That must be a right royal mess for those particular citizens.

I'd really like to know how well this passport business is being enforced in those special cases.

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 416 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 2:44 PM

I'm not exactly sure when they arrive.

pretty sure your Whales are there year 'round.

the migrations are out in the Actual Ocean (Mexico to Alaska & back) .... time of year depends some on where you're at.

=

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 467 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 6:22 PM
I went (with best friend) in June a couple of years ago and it was quite nice. I know the boats here run all summer. You can go for a half day -- just up, see the whales, and back (about 3 hours or so I think) -- or you can do a most of the day trip, see the whales, toodle into Friday Harbor, have lunch, then back through the islands and back here.

That sounds lovely.

I've had just enough trouble with seasickness in my life that I wouldn't sign up to do work on the ocean. But now that I'm older, I'm usually ok.

Vickifool

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 470 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 6:28 PM
My SIL bought me some motion sickess acupressure bracelets, and I swear by them. I was just googling around and found a bunch...the ones she got me cost her $8 at a Chinese pharmacy in NYC. They have little knobs that you place against a pressure point on your inner wrist. I have never used accupunture or anything like that, but believe me these things are pure gold.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 481 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 7:00 PM
My SIL bought me some motion sickess acupressure bracelets, and I swear by them.

DW feels the same way about hers.
Ted

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 498 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 9:08 PM

Yep. And because of this, I've wondered recently about that little teensy section of Washington State that hangs off of Canada and is not connected to any other land. Do the residents there -- all of them -- have to have a passport to drive up through Canada and back down into the United States for them to go to school or work? That must be a right royal mess for those particular citizens.

I'd really like to know how well this passport business is being enforced in those special cases.

AM

That's Point Roberts ( www.whalenspark.com/id2.htm for a map. Until January 2008 a passport isn't needed to travel to and from Canada if you travel by boat or car. Only if you're flying. Also, if you have a Nexus Card (for frequent travelers who cross the border) this card is now a de facto passport for air travel.

A lot of school-age kids travel daily from Point Roberts through Canada and back into the US at Blaine, Washington. This has been a long-time practice and these kids go straight through both border checking stations without hassle.

However, about 70 percent of those living in Point Roberts are Canadian.

I fish a lot off the southern tip of Point Roberts for salmon and sometimes gas up at the marina there. Nice place.

I live East of the Point in White Rock. It's on the map link above.

MichaelR

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 504 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/5/2007 9:39 PM
<<I'm not exactly sure when they arrive.

pretty sure your Whales are there year 'round.

the migrations are out in the Actual Ocean (Mexico to Alaska & back) .... time of year depends some on where you're at.

>>

That's right.

Gray whales migrate between Alaska and Mexico along the west coast. Most of the time you need to be out in the ocean to intercept them.

Not always. I once was on a dock at Fort Worden State Park near Port Townsend, Wa. when I happened to look down into the water, to see a thirty foot gray whale swimming by under water. I never saw him come to the surface, and it's the only time I've ever seen a gray whale.

Pretty neat.

There are resident pods of Orcas that travel around the Straight of Georgia, Straight of Juan De Fuca and Puget Sound. There are plenty of whale chasing tour boats to take people out to see these whales from Bellingham, Port Townsend, Friday Harbor and other towns in these areas.

The best cheap wahle watching tour is to take the Washington State Ferry from Annacortes to Sidney, British Columbia on Vancouver Island. You get the best ferry boat ride around, and a good chance of seeing whales to boot. In addition, you can see Victoria, the wonderful provincial capitol of British Columbia.

Twenty five years ago I was saving all my nickels and dimes investing in the stock market, and borrowed a twelve foot aluminum boat to go rowboat cruising through the San Juan Islands. Every day I had whales coming up near my boat to investigate what I was doing. There was always the noise of the orcas expelling their breath, which was loud enough to be unmistakable, and I could look around to see one or more whales often fifty to a hundred feet or so away from my boat.

A very nice, and cheap, form of adventure.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 704 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/6/2007 1:16 PM

Create the one you want to support...

..if you want to protect the environment then decide how and in what way and start your own group, charter it, and steer it. Example would be create, establish and run a water monitoring and analysis group which you can probably couple into a local or nearby university where the checical analysis can be done. This work might and probably would entail rafting, canoeing, or walking your local water supply (streams/rivers) and collecting samples in an organized manner...if you like the outdoors this would be both fun and useful.

..if you are more directed towards young folks needing help then start a mentoring program of some sort with the various local schools, police, etc.

..if the stars are your important thing then start a Astronomy club with certain goals such as helping with the SETI program or other such things.

..if human induced rapid global climate change is your cup-o-tea then you can loan your PC for calculations for various climate models, you can monitor wether/temp/climate changes, you can work with local power structures to improve efficiency, reduce power use, lower impact, and still improve out society and civilization.

All kinds of groups to start, people to meet, things to do.

Of course I am a type A Engineering fix a problem starter of groups, projects, and cynical optimist.

md

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 770 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/6/2007 3:26 PM
My SIL bought me some motion sickess acupressure bracelets, and I swear by them.

I *knew* you were a closet paranormal. Penn will be knocking at your door any day now.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 785 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/6/2007 3:54 PM
I *knew* you were a closet paranormal. Penn will be knocking at your door any day now.

My guardian wristband is a superbowl mvp guardian wristband. What should I do??

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 837 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/6/2007 5:18 PM
Create the one you want to support...
<snip>
All kinds of groups to start, people to meet, things to do.

Of course I am a type A Engineering fix a problem starter of groups, projects, and cynical optimist.

md

Not everyone can start groups--that requires a certain skill set.
I find that I maintain groups. Groups that I am in tend to last longer than similar groups that I am not in.

Vickifool

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1030 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/7/2007 11:39 AM
Recommendations: 9
It's interesting that almost everything I've been interested in seems to be run by people who all have god-complexes or something. Their way is the only way. They get sniffy and huffy when other ways of doing things are suggested.

---

The irony is amazing.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1248 of 59777
Subject: Re: Staying Socially Active in Retirement Date: 2/7/2007 5:41 PM
There is a huge need for help in New Orleans. Our UU church group has made trips down there to help clean up and muck out devastated houses. It's real work, but very worthwhile. Even after more than a year New Orleans still looks like hell.
Ted

Ted - my kids will be on spring break from March 12 through 16 - can you take that in to account when getting back to me with the information I requested from you? Thanks.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (72) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement