Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36126  
Subject: Steam sales Date: 11/20/2012 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Scuttlebutt has it that these are the dates:

Fall/Autumn/Thanksgiving:
21 Nov - 27 Nov

Winter/Holiday/Christmas:
20 Dec - 4 Jan

JT
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34953 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/21/2012 2:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Confirmed - started today.

First casualty: KOTOR II for $2.50 (flash sale, 9 hours left). Historically I've resisted buying digital versions of titles on the cheap if the disc version is already in my backlog, but I've seen enough issues getting older titles working on Windows 7 such that if Steam or GOG can tell me their version works in Win7, I'm starting to consider it. This has been the first of what will probably be several of those over the coming months.

JT,
warning, the client is running slowly...

Author: EthylMercaptan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34954 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/21/2012 6:40 PM
Recommendations: 0
I have never played KOTOR games. Got 1 and 2 now. Also purchased the Dawnguard DlC for Skyrim for -33%, which is probably 50% overpriced.

C2H5SH

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34955 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/22/2012 12:20 PM
Ah crap, everything on my wishlist is at least 25% off plus RAGE is dirt cheap as is Dead Island - two games that LOOKED worth a shot but I heard sucked. I am trying to resist those purchases.

XCom and Walking Dead are also on for 33% and 50% off. f you don't own these you should buy them. I'm going to hold off on Borderlands 2 and Torchlight II to wait for a GOTY edition and when I have some time to play with buddies. Plus piles of other things....

I hate having a game backlog and this would just make things worse...

Anyone have thoughts on these other games I'm considering?

- Stronghold 3, I loved the other ones
- Might & Magic Heroes VI
- Lord of the Rings: War in the North, yet another co-op game
- I Am Alive
- Mark of the Ninja
- Deadlight

I know some of those should be ones I don't think about and just buy because they are only $10 or so but, like I said, I have having a backlog! Hell, I still want to go back to Mount & Blade: Warband because it is such a good game.

Simon

Author: 1971simon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34957 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/22/2012 2:34 PM
Did anyone like Max Payne 3?

Author: maracle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34959 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/22/2012 11:05 PM
I hate having a game backlog and this would just make things worse...

My backlog is long enough that I don't buy unless the deal is really good these days.

I had bought Sim City 4 for $2.50 a few sales back and started playing last week. After a few hours I began to rage as I tried in vain to build a highway and get all the bits to mesh up properly and recalled why I found that game so frustrating. Conveniently, Tropico 4 was on a 75% of weekend deal, so I picked that up.

I don't have Starcraft II and that's down to $20 right now so I bought that.

But XCOM and Walking Dead will probably be discounted deeper next year...I can wait...

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34961 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/23/2012 12:09 AM
Did anyone like Max Payne 3?

As much as I was looking forward to its release, I'd read enough negative things about it to pass on paying full price. But I'm certainly a big enough fan of the franchise to pick it up at $15. Done.

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34962 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/23/2012 8:23 PM
Historically I've resisted buying digital versions of titles on the cheap if the disc version is already in my backlog, but I've seen enough issues getting older titles working on Windows 7 such that if Steam or GOG can tell me their version works in Win7, I'm starting to consider it. This has been the first of what will probably be several of those over the coming months.

Second one is the Thief collection (played 1, have 2 & 3 on disc but have read bad things about Win7 installs). Flash sale (8.5 hours left from this timestamp), $6.74 for all three.

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34964 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/24/2012 6:52 PM
Flash sales on now: GalCiv II Ultimate for $5 or GalCiv Collection for $6.24, and LA Noire for $5. Will most likely give GalCiv a try, and thinking about LA Noire as well. Any thoughts from the folks here about those two?

JT

Author: Beerio Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34965 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/26/2012 8:17 AM
GalCiv is fun and probably worth a go at that price. It held my attention for a while, but it's no X-com (where I'm on my third play through on Classic Ironman....)

Any other good deals out there we should know about?

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34967 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/26/2012 12:41 PM
GalCiv is fun and probably worth a go at that price. It held my attention for a while, but it's no X-com (where I'm on my third play through on Classic Ironman....)

I picked it up, haven't played something like it in a very long time (Star Wars: Rebellion, maybe?), should be fun to play around with.

Any other good deals out there we should know about?

Nothing too Earth-shattering (at least to my tastes/proclivities), and it's over in 24 hours. Torchlight 2 for $10 but I bought and haven't played the first one yet, so I held off. Batman: Arkham City GOTY for $7.50 but I haven't played the first one to know if I'll want to play more. Civ V for $7.50, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored for $30 each, and Orcs Must Die 2 (there was a first one?) for $3.75.

JT

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34968 of 36126
Subject: Re: Steam sales Date: 11/26/2012 1:00 PM
Also purchased the Dawnguard DlC for Skyrim for -33%, which is probably 50% overpriced.

Probably so, I thought the campaign kind of sucked.

If you like (or have been wanting) to play a vampire or werewolf character, then it might be worth it since it adds some cool powers. Plus there are quite a few mods that build on these to improve (or in some cases, fix) them. Not sure that makes it worth the price though.

Speaking of DLC, I went ahead and sprung for the Hearthfire plugin as well (not during the sale). Unless you really, really, really enjoy the process of crafting, I'd pass on this one or at least wait until it's dirt cheap. Let me tell you, it's a LOT of crafting.

There are three different houses you can build (not sure if you can build more than one in a single playthrough), and while they are nicer than the vanilla player homes, they still don't compare to most of the player home mods available. Adopting children, hiring stewards, etc. gives a little more flavor but ultimately it's kind of like a "I did it. Yay." type of thing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement