UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: Stenciling Advice? Date: 3/24/2004 3:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just ordered some stencils - I have never stenciled before. Our walls have a rough "orange peel" finish.

Anything special I should consider or watch out for?

Thanks,

Jennifer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mukluk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3364 of 4657
Subject: Re: Stenciling Advice? Date: 3/24/2004 7:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Jennifer,

Be sure not to use too much paint on your brush or it will leak under the sides of the stencil and ruin the clean line. It is a good idea to blot your brush on a paper towel before touching the wall. You may have to build up several layers to get the color intensity you want, but it will give a better look. Also, it is better to use a "stippling" motion, rather than a "scrubbing" motion when applying the paint to the wall. Especially with a rough finish, I think stippling will give better coverage.

Mo.

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3368 of 4657
Subject: Re: Stenciling Advice? Date: 3/24/2004 12:25 PM
Recommendations: 0
Also, it is better to use a "stippling" motion, rather than a "scrubbing" motion

Althought I know what "scrubbing" means, I am lost on what a "stippling" motion might be :-(

Thanks for the advice!

Jennifer

Author: mukluk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3369 of 4657
Subject: Re: Stenciling Advice? Date: 3/24/2004 12:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
Althought I know what "scrubbing" means, I am lost on what a "stippling" motion might be :-(

Stippling would be holding the brush at right-angles to the wall (or the surface to be stencilled) and tapping the end of the brush on the stencil opening to apply the paint -- i.e. an up and down motion as opposed to the normal back and forth motion used in painting. You will notice that stencilling brushes are round with a flat end -- the better to stipple with.

Hope that's clear!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement