Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: galagan Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 64  
Subject: Re: Arbitration Date: 11/25/2002 3:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Stephanie - Thanks for the help.

Did you include taxes in the living expenses?

I can only wish. :) Taxes are probably about 0.3X/year. I can say with some certainty that savings is around 0.4X/year, and I think the allocation between living expenses and taxes is about right.

Living expenses are probably analogous to what they will be at retirement, except that presumably health costs (whether insurance or direct) will increase substantially, and there will be some increase in relatively inexpensive travel (I'm a hosteller and love it).

past performance is no guarantee of future results...

That's my main problem with historically based simulations - as well as the statistical ideas you mentioned. I realize you have to start somewhere, but basing the future on the past is a paradigm that I'm not excited about starting from. I was an actuary for a short period of time, and probability-based simulations are more comfortable. Of course, the underlying data for those simulations is probably also historical, so one has much the same problem.

It seems to me the best system would (1) incorporate some ideas from the past, (2) try to make predictions of the future that aren't entirely based on historical information, and (3) adjust itself so that catastrophic market movements at exactly the wrong time wouldn't destroy you. Another problem with most simulations is that they assume straight line projections - for example, you assume an 8-percent return and 3-percent inflation. Just like dollar cost averaging can help you on the buy side, it can really hurt you on the sell side, if the road to your 8-percent return is sufficiently bumpy.

Thanks again for your help, Stephanie, and for giving this board a chance.

dan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement