Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I know it's not the same as not having to pay, but you might want to check on "tax reciproicity". US citizens are given tax breaks if they work overseas in certain countries. The idea here is that you MAY be able to get credit for(if you are required to file a return in AU)the Social (In)security tax you paid in the US. If it applies, at least you won't be taxed on income you did not recieve.

Just a thought,
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.