No. of Recommendations: 27
Twenty-four hours later, Mr. Sirota had a second feather in his cap. The two suspects in the Boston bombing turned out to be Caucasian males — that’s to say, males from the Caucasus, specifically the North Caucasus, Chechnya by way of Dagestan. Unfortunately for his delicate sensitivities, the two Caucasians were also Muslims. They were alumni of Cambridge Rindge and Latin, one of the oldest public schools in America and latterly one of the most “diverse,” boasting (being the operative word) students from over 80 countries. The Tsarnaev brothers had spent most of their lives in the United States, and lived the diversity dream. They seem to have had a droll wit when it comes to symbolism: Last year, the younger brother took his oath of citizenship and became an American on September 11. And, in their final hours of freedom, they added a cruel bit of mockery to their crimes by carjacking a getaway vehicle with a “Co-exist” bumper sticker. Oh, you must have seen them: I bet David Sirota has one. The “C” is the Islamic crescent, the “O” is the hippy peace sign; the “X” is the Star of David, the “T” is the Christian cross; I think there’s some LGBT, Taoist, and Wiccan stuff in there, too. They’re not mandatory on vehicles in Massachusetts; it just seems that way.

I wonder, when the “Co-exist” car is returned to its owner, whether he or she will keep the bumper sticker in place. One would not expect him to conclude, as the gays of Amsterdam and the Jews of Toulouse and the Christians of Egypt have bleakly done, that if it weren’t for that Islamic crescent you wouldn’t need a bumper sticker at all. But he may perhaps have learned that life is all a bit more complicated than the smiley-face banalities of the multicultists.

It’s very weird to live in a society where mass death is important insofar as it serves the political needs of the dominant ideology. A white male loner killing white kindergartners in Connecticut is news; a black doctor butchering black babies in Pennsylvania is not. When the manhunt in Boston began, I received a bunch of e-mails sneering I was gagging for it to be the Muzzies just as hungrily as lefties were for it to be an NRA guy, a Tea Partier, a Sarah Palin donor. But, actually, I wasn’t. On Monday, it didn’t feel Islamic: a small death toll at a popular event but not one with the resonance and iconic quality the big-time jihadists like — like 9/11, the embassy bombings, the U.S.S. Cole. After all, if the jihad crowd wanted to blow up a few people here and there IRA-style they could have been doing it all this last decade.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/346146/%E2%80%98co-exi...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 5
"A white male loner killing white kindergartners in Connecticut is news; a black doctor butchering black babies in Pennsylvania is not."

This is why Steyn is such a terrible writer. All he can do is argue against made up, fictional points that are not even true.

The only people who read him are those that want to hear their own preconceived views reinforced. Not those who want to learn something new or interesting.
No. of Recommendations: 20
"A white male loner killing white kindergartners in Connecticut is news; a black doctor butchering black babies in Pennsylvania is not."

This is why Steyn is such a terrible writer. All he can do is argue against made up, fictional points that are not even true.
------------------------------------------------------
Is this a continuation of your "The Gosnell Trial Is Getting Lots Of Coverage" meme? You're getting lots of mieage out of it, and your bretheren really, really, want to believe it, but that doesn't make it true.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/16/quotes-of-the-day-1349...

Marc Lamont Hill (big liberal) made clear where his theoretical thinking lay:

“For what it’s worth, I do think that those of us on the left have made a decision not to cover this trial because we worry that it’ll compromise abortion rights. Whether you agree with abortion or not, I do think there’s a direct connection between the media’s failure to cover this and our own political commitments on the left. I think it’s a bad idea, I think it’s dangerous, but I think that’s the way it is.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/16/powers-yes-there-is-a-...

Kirsten Powers (liberal):

I can only think of a handful of times in my eight years as a Fox News contributor that I’ve discussed abortion. The people who obsessively cover it and anything vaguely related to it are those in the mainstream media and in the left-wing media, which is why their silence on this is so remarkable. Mollie Hemingway did yeoman’s work chronicling how faithfully The Washington Post’s health reporter, who covered Todd Aiken, the Susan G. Komen controversy, and the murder of abortion doctor George Tiller, didn’t write a single story on the Gosnell trial. No abortion regulation is too small for the mainstream media to cover; no stupid comment about abortion by any Republican goes unnoticed. So her disinterest in this trial is inexplicable.

But while the left has alternately attacked the right for its alleged lack of interest and for paying too much of the “wrong sort” of attention, I haven’t heard a lot about the near silence from the feminist organizations that lecture us endlessly about how they stand for women’s health. I find the claims now that feminists were deeply upset about poor minority women being abused and killed along with their babies a little tough to believe. A search for “Gosnell” on NOW’s website yielded only two hits, both from 2011. Search for “Gosnell” on the League of Women Voters website and you will find nothing. The same search on the NARAL and Planned Parenthood sites returned the same number of hits: zero.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/16/powers-yes-there-is-a-...

Megan McArdle (pro-choice)

So why wasn’t it news? Pro-choice writer Megan McArdle of The Daily Beastnotes that it’s about fear of where the story would go, and what it would require writers to confront: “Gosnell is accused of grisly crimes that I didn’t want to think about. … I understand why my readers suspect me, and other pro-choice mainstream journalists, of being selective — of not wanting to cover the story because it showcased the ugliest possibilities of abortion rights. The truth is that most of us tend to be less interested in sick-making stories — if the sick-making was done by ‘our side.’ ”

It was fine to dwell at length on the Newtown, Conn., shootings, because those could be blamed on the evil NRA. But writing about these dead innocents might be a political liability instead of a political asset. It might have been awkward for President Obama.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/15/cbs-news-even-gosnells...

Gosnell's former defense attorney:

Criminal defense attorney William Brennan has been involved in many high-profile trials, and even represented Gosnell until the drug case became a murder case. He said, “A case involving a medical doctor charged with eight counts of murder. It would seem to me that just that fact pattern would make national news.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/345399/horror-me...

A Lexis-Nexis search shows none of the news shows on the three major national television networks has mentioned the Gosnell trial in the last three months. The exception is when Wall Street Journal columnist Peggy Noonan hijacked a segment on Meet the Press meant to foment outrage over an anti-abortion rights law in some backward red state.

The Washington Post has not published original reporting on this during the trial and The New York Times saw fit to run one original story on A-17 on the trial’s first day. They’ve been silent ever since, despite headline-worthy testimony . . .

You don’t have to oppose abortion rights to find late-term abortion abhorrent or to find the Gosnell trial eminently newsworthy. This is not about being “pro-choice” or “pro-life.” It’s about basic human rights.

http://www.nationalreview.com/campaign-spot/345399/horror-me...

Washington Post explains:

The Washington Post health-policy reporter, Sarah Kliff explains to Mollie Hemingway, “I cover policy for the Washington Post, not local crime, hence why I wrote about all the policy issues you mention.”

Except that a lot of “local crime” stories become national policy or politics issues, or at the very least get national coverage. Last night on Twitter I went on a tear: Trayvon Martin, the Cambridge police arresting Henry Louis Gates, O. J. Simpson, the Unabomber, Jeffrey Dahmer, Casey Anthony, D. B. Cooper, Bernie Madoff, Son of Sam, JonBenet Ramsey, Andrea Yates, David Koresh & the Waco compound, Amy Fisher . . . Heck, all of the gun massacres that drive our periodic discussions of gun laws are technically “local crime” stories.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/12/quotes-of-the-day-1346...

WaPo admits it:

Martin Baron, executive editor of the Post, tells the Erik Wemple Blog:

We believe the story is deserving of coverage by our own staff, and we intend to send a reporter for the resumption of the trial next week. In retrospect, we should have sent a reporter sooner.

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/12/photo-of-the-day-media...

I was surprised by the picture and asked “really?” He responded “Local press was there, Inky, PhillyMag, NBC10 blogger. Court staff told me nobody else has shown up.”

<picture of empty media row at link>

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/18/testimony-gosnell-reus...

NY Times Bails:

No sooner did the New York Times send a reporter to cover the murder trial of embattled abortion practitioner Kermit Gosnell did the Gray Lady pull the reporter from daily coverage. Instead, the venerable newspaper will cover only “highlights” of the trail, which has weeks left to go.

Local reporter JD Mullane of the Bucks County Courier Times, sent a tweet late Wednesday afternoon indicating the Times was pulling its reporter.

“New York Times bails on daily coverage #Gosnell trial. Will cover “highlights” only,” he wrote.
--------------------------------------------------
It's funny, liberals in the media are admitting it, and you are trying to weave together a false narrative anyway.
No. of Recommendations: 1
It's funny, liberals in the media are admitting it, and you are trying to weave together a false narrative anyway.

Sure it's a one trick pony, but it is getting lots of practive at that trick
No. of Recommendations: 3

Deluded liberals rarely know they are delusional. They are too busy trying to be among the elite, arrogant, and condescending.

Liberalism is a mental disorder which makes its adherents completely disconnected with reality.
No. of Recommendations: 12
"It's funny, liberals in the media are admitting it, and you are trying to weave together a false narrative anyway."

That's how he rolls. He will deny any fact that proves him wrong. He will excoriate and make fun of any person who posts something that proves him wrong. He will never admit he is wrong and he will continue to pretend we are all stupid and he is the smartest man in the room.

The MSM isn't covering it but he will go through every contortion imaginable to prove that it is because he doesn't believe in media bias unless it is Fox News we are talking about.

It is time for people to quit lending credence to him by continuing to respond to his democrat talking points.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!
"It's funny, liberals in the media are admitting it, and you are trying to weave together a false narrative anyway."

Test question: Who was the first groups calling for greater coverage of the trial, long before the nutjob media started whining about it?
he is the smartest man in the room.

Only when he's taking a dump.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I think it's funny that one of the princes of right-wing sarcasm apparently can't recognize a sarcastic headline: "Let's Hope the Boston Marathon Bomber is a White American" and completely missed the point of the article.

There is a double standard: White terrorists are dealt with as lone wolves, Islamists are existential threats

http://www.salon.com/2013/04/16/lets_hope_the_boston_maratho...

The mockery of the "Coexist" bumper sticker is just the kind of juvenile humor we've come to expect from Steyn. What's he saying? That peaceful coexistence of various peoples is not desirable? Isn't this what the Islamo-terrorists themselves think?

A white male loner killing white kindergartners in Connecticut is news; a black doctor butchering black babies in Pennsylvania is not.

That, quite simply, is a lie, a typical bit of pandering to the right-wing ignorati who lap this stuff up.
No. of Recommendations: 0
2828-

I'm planning on plagiarizing some, if not all of your post. Please don't sue me.

Ski
2828-

I'm planning on plagiarizing some, if not all of your post. Please don't sue me.

Ski
----------------------------------------
Please do. Just know that this was by no means exhaustive, i've read many more accounts of the story being ignored, i just didn't want to gather quotes and admissions from liberals all day.
No. of Recommendations: 5
The only people who read him are those that want to hear their own preconceived views reinforced. Not those who want to learn something new or interesting.

Ohmigod. I bet your TV is permanently set to MSNBC.

Ohmigod. I bet your TV is permanently set to MSNBC.

Well, yeah, but when you are just making stuff up on the fly, you may not be interesting, but you have a decent shot at new.
I admire an honest plagiarist.
Welcome back, CC!
"Ohmigod. I bet your TV is permanently set to MSNBC."

How much do you want to bet? I will bet as much as you like.

In fact I will make the bet easier for you. I would bet you whatever amount you would like to bet that my TV is tuned to FOX News at least twice as much as it is tuned to MSNBC.

You are making the mistake of assuming that because you live inside an echo chamber that others must as well.
"That, quite simply, is a lie, a typical bit of pandering to the right-wing ignorati who lap this stuff up."

Exactly.

If there are any real pro-choice reporters who have intentionally shied away from covering the story because they think it will reflect badly on abortion then they are doing the pro-choice movement a disservice with their ignorance.

The trial isn't about abortion. Gosnell isn't on trial for doing abortions. He is on trial for malpractice and murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on inside Gosenell's clinic are what goes on in a typical abortion clinic doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical abortion clinic.

I assume that most who are crying about the perceived lack of coverage are just ignorant of the distinction I pointed out above, but I also think there are a few who do understand this distinction but choose to ignore it in order to smear the pro-choice movement with the actions of Gosnell.

As for the media not giving it attention over and over people don't realize what a terrible story it is for that type of coverage. Viewers don't want to hear 24/7 news coverage of babies of poor urban mothers getting killed over and over again when there are no new details to be reported (and no real expectation of new details to emerge). Any report about the story today is going to contain the same details of the story as written last week.

For a person to think that this is intentionally being covered up a person would have to be clueless that most news is ratings driven. Or think that a reporter would go "Hmm, we could increase our ratings by doing a story on this, but let's bury it instead since it supposedly shows abortion in a bad light."

Turn it around. If "the left wing media" is intentionally not covering this story because of how it reflects on abortion, why hasn't FOX news sent Greta or some other minion to Philadelphia to do two hours of TV each day live outside the courthouse? Because they know that after the first day they would be saying the same things and people would quickly lose interest and stop watching.

I believe it was you who found the link to the article from feminists and pro-choice supporters calling for greater coverage of this trial many months ago. Long before anyone else was looking at it. Whenever this is pointed out to the "it's not being covered" people, they always seem to ignore it. It doesn't register with their meme so they can't even see it.
As for the media not giving it attention over and over people don't realize what a terrible story it is for that type of coverage. Viewers don't want to hear 24/7 news coverage of babies of poor urban mothers getting killed over and over again when there are no new details to be reported (and no real expectation of new details to emerge). Any report about the story today is going to contain the same details of the story as written last week.

Exactly. It's not news because there's nothing new to report that wasn't covered when he was arrested. The trial promises little new drama, which, unfortunately, is another big consideration for news organizations. It's not "sexy" like the O.J. Simpson trial or the trials of the Menendez brothers, Michael Skakel, Scott Peterson, Andrea Yates, Amanda Cox etc. It's just gross and a channel changer for most people.

Turn it around. If "the left wing media" is intentionally not covering this story because of how it reflects on abortion, why hasn't FOX news sent Greta or some other minion to Philadelphia to do two hours of TV each day live outside the courthouse? Because they know that after the first day they would be saying the same things and people would quickly lose interest and stop watching.

Absolutely. This, as much as anything, shows that the lack coverage was a news and programming decision, not in any way political. Ironically, the increased coverage of the trial after the pro-life p.r. campaign is motivated by politics.

I believe it was you who found the link to the article from feminists and pro-choice supporters calling for greater coverage of this trial many months ago. Long before anyone else was looking at it.

That wasn't me.
The trial isn't about abortion. Gosnell isn't on trial for doing abortions. He is on trial for malpractice and murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on inside Gosenell's clinic are what goes on in a typical abortion clinic doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical abortion clinic.

I assume that most who are crying about the perceived lack of coverage are just ignorant of the distinction I pointed out above, but I also think there are a few who do understand this distinction but choose to ignore it in order to smear the pro-choice movement with the actions of Gosnell.
-------------------------------------------------
http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/12/quotes-of-the-day-1346...

There’s very little difference between what [Dr. Leroy] Carhart does on a regular basis and what Kermit Gosnell stands on trial for. In one federal trial on the federal partial-birth-abortion ban, one abortionist testified (under a court-imposed cloak of anonymity) that his regular practice in late-term abortions was to decapitate a partially born child. So the horrors of what Jonah rightly called Gosnell’s “abattoir” should come as no surprise to those who have been paying attention…

Yet the Constitution is said by abortion apologists to protect this butchery. And while the pro-abortion industry appears embarrassed by the Gosnell trial, they’ve held Carhart up as their hero. Carhart was awarded the 2009 William K. Rashbaum, MD, Abortion Provider Award by Physicians for Reproductive Health — because there’s nothing like dying on the table to advance a woman’s health. Oh, and NARAL Pro-Choice America (which no longer stands for National Abortion Rights Action League, given that some people might think that name icky) gave him its Hero Award in the same year.
--------------------------------------------------------
Hey hey! Hero Award, look at you.
Exactly. It's not news because there's nothing new to report that wasn't covered when he was arrested. The trial promises little new drama, which, unfortunately, is another big consideration for news organizations. It's not "sexy" like the O.J. Simpson trial or the trials of the Menendez brothers, Michael Skakel, Scott Peterson, Andrea Yates, Amanda Cox etc. It's just gross and a channel changer for most people.
--------------------------------------------------------
Two words, "Poop Cruise". Nice try. Man, you guys are really struggling. You will lie about just about anything, even to the point of lying when other liberals are admitting it. You guys are hardcore, you should get a Hero Award or something.
No. of Recommendations: 8
" The trial isn't about abortion. Gosnell isn't on trial for doing abortions. He is on trial for malpractice and murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on inside Gosenell's clinic are what goes on in a typical abortion clinic doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical abortion clinic."

Funny how this "logic" is completely forgotten when the topic is guns and a craze like the Newtown shooter.

The [media] trial isn't about guns. The Newown shooter isn't about guns. It is about mass murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on in Newtown are what goes on with a typical gun owner doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical gun owner's life.

Hmm, perfect fit.
"Reproductive Health"

"Reproductive Rights"

"Assault Weapons"

Terminology is Everything!
HLN(Communistic News Networks) is 24/7 ALL Over! the 2 cent murder trial in Arizona.

She must be a REAL! Danger! to all of us NATIONALLY!
---
Two words, "Poop Cruise". Nice try. Man, you guys are really struggling. You will lie about just about anything, even to the point of lying when other liberals are admitting it. You guys are hardcore, you should get a Hero Award or something.

You don't actually have anything to say other than that? The "poop cruise" was funny, the subject of all kinds of late night talk show jokes. Lots of people (for whatever strange reason) wanted to see how it'd turn out. And a lot of people who've been on cruises could identify with the passengers. Not much of a news story, but there was tons of interest.

The only difference is a few minutes in time. Abortion/Murder same same exept the location of the victim.
The [media] trial isn't about guns. The Newown shooter isn't about guns. It is about mass murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on in Newtown are what goes on with a typical gun owner doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical gun owner's life.

Well played. These guys want to have their cake and eat it, too. Every issue that touches one of their social wish lists to fry the second amendment automatically becomes *all about* the 2nd amendment. But let the incident hit one of their sacred cows...Well, then. You obviously can't draw broad conclusions about that sort of thing.

I am curious, is the person that wrote this one of those that claims this was not a story?

WOuldn't that mean that there is no story when a mass murderer targets children?

Yup, nothing to see there and the media always skips that, yeah this is a good spin, sounds about right.

As always my advice to liberals is when in a hole, keep digging, eventually the sides will collapse to everyone's benefit, even your own, though you do not realize it.
That's how he rolls. He will deny any fact that proves him wrong. He will excoriate and make fun of any person who posts something that proves him wrong. He will never admit he is wrong and he will continue to pretend we are all stupid and he is the smartest man in the room.

His main job is to do the "credibility" thing. See here
http://boards.fool.com/unlike-you-imply-that-didnt-happen-ex...

Most left wingers can't argue from facts or logic so they rely on emotional fallacies as a replacement. But then you get people like this one...their jobs are different. It's not to argue the emotionalism. It's to tear down the opponent. Hence the constant "you have no credibility", accusations of raaacism, calling people traitors, whatever. That's the Alinksyite tactic of freezing and demonizing your enemies. One could stick names against the tactics used above pretty easily.
"There’s very little difference between what [Dr. Leroy] Carhart does on a regular basis and what Kermit Gosnell stands on trial for."

You need better sources. One's that are accurate rather than just saying what you want to hear.
"Two words, "Poop Cruise"."

Yeah. Nobody ever takes a cruise. No reason anyone would be interested in that.

Besides, I think you missed the part about updates and changes to the situation.

"Man, you guys are really struggling. You will lie about just about anything, even to the point of lying when other liberals are admitting it."

Reading comprehension is not overrated, Try it sometime.

Good job little gardenbunny.
"The [media] trial isn't about guns. The Newown shooter isn't about guns. It is about mass murder. Anyone who thinks that the gruesome horrors that went on in Newtown are what goes on with a typical gun owner doesn't have the first clue about what goes on in a typical gun owner's life.

Hmm, perfect fit."

I agree. Did you have a point to make?
"His main job is to do the "credibility" thing."

That is a good point. Did you think it was credible to change the topic there in the thread you linked to? You made a claim it was shown wrong so you changed the subject.

Well played. Not credible, but well played. Probably fooled someone.
"Hence the constant "you have no credibility", accusations of raaacism, calling people traitors, whatever."

Then when he receives what he dishes out, he whines. His rationalizations are what are really insidious though. Often they amount to little more than out and out lies.

Cheers,

Vile
NEVER SAY DIE!!!
Advertisement