Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: Happy Dance Date: 6/17/2005 3:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Still, 700k isn't so bad. If you really wanted to FIRE, you could buy a nice place for 100k and sell your current one (I saw a special on Money about nice houses for 100k in different parts of the country).

Take the extra 200k and buy a duplex, to bring in around 5% a year in rental (or 10k). Take the remaining 700k and put it in dividend achievers, REIT's, and some bonds and draw of 4% for 28k a year. Then you have no mortgage payment and 38k a year to live on.. that seems like a ton to me. Save 10% and live off the 34k remaining.

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. If you love where you live more than retiring then you should stick it out for 2 million. I am going to FIRE at 1 million including the house (unless inflation comes along fast) but probably take up teaching as a career with little kids, to try it out. That is still a long ways off for me though, I suppose once you finally reach it you have already set higher goals.

Yeah, there are not that many people who seem interested in FIREing, and people don't normally talk about finances, for better or worse. It is an impressive achievement, nonetheless. I am thinking of a big treat at major milestones (like 500k, 1 million), like a European vacation (with a house swap though).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement