Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: michaelservet Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 212396  
Subject: Re: OT-Tesla Date: 4/23/2013 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Still, even with that cautious production start-up, they have built and sold more Tesla S’s than Chevy has sold Volts, or Nissan their Leafs.

Re-reading this, it was poorly worded. It should have been specific to the most recent quarter (and not an implied 'since forever') -- from 'greencarretports':

The big news in plug-in car sales for March was Tesla's statement that it delivered "more than 4,750" Model S electric cars from January through March [by comparison, GM sold 4,244 Volt's and Nissan sold 3,539 Leaf's in the quarter]

Separately, that Detroit Electric interview is telling. Maybe we'll see a lot of shoestring entries into this market (DE is looking to raise at least $50 million for this venture). It's a sign of the times, perhaps, that they are giving interviews at the auto show - with a prototype on display - and they don't yet have a factory lined up for production. They look to be outsourcing pretty much everything, including the body (from Lotus) and their battery production (from a few separate sources in the hope that they can avoid another Fisker/A123 debacle).

DE's approach is interesting in that they look to replicate Tesla's path from five years ago - sans the proprietary batteries - when Tesla started production of its original Lotus-based sports car. Aside from being five years later and using the same initial vehicle platform (an ultra-light-weight Lotus), some key differences - we'd think 'disadvantages' - might be much shorter range (DE's projected 150 miles) and higher base price ($135k). If Tesla is a long shot, maybe Detroit Electric is a moon shot. But who knows.

Speaking of the Lotus Exige - the underlying vehicle for this Detroit Electric prototype - when the Exige first came out I stopped by the local Lotus dealer to have a look. Then I made huge mistake: I asked to sit in one. The salesperson took me outside and opened the door, and I squeezed in nicely enough. But then I got stuck there. The problem was that I found I couldn't bend my knees - at all. The Exige had a hard top - a low one - so I couldn't just push myself vertically with my arms (as in tricept 'dip' exercises). The only thing I could do was fall out stiff-legged sideways onto the ground, putting my weight on both palms and walking myself out on my hands, dragging myself out onto the pavement.

This was really embarrassing, and I figured no way was I going to ever let this happen to me in public. So much for my Lotus fantasies (just as well, of course). I noticed in the DE video it was shot with two lithe young ladies in the vehicle. What I would have liked to have seen was footage of them climbing out. Then again it looked liked their combined weights might have been less than mine - maybe their combined ages too. Perhaps not everyone looking at the DE-type offerings will be put off.

We can probably expect to see more of this until things settle down. Already we've had Fisker.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement