UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Still figuring this board out. Date: 1/30/2001 8:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I've read all the posts so far and I seem to be missing something. I'm not seeing how this board will be anything that the REHP board isn't, except more restrictive. Maybe that's the point, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. If I understand correctly, the focus of this board is to focus on how to achieve your ER dreams while the REHP board is more broadly focused on just about anything related to ER. Do I have this right?

If I'm right about the intent of this board, I don't see how it will be any easier to keep it from going OT than the REHP board, but I would suggest we all reach consensus early on things not to discuss and then post that list in a FAQ or something. For example, if discussing politics is a no-no (even when the political topic touches on the subject of ER), then we might want to put that on a list and refer people to that list when they get into a political discussion. If somebody starts to get too deep into 72(t) SEPPs, then they can be referred over to the REHP board. Of course this is just my $.02, but if the REHP was too general, then I think this board will need some more guidance on how to be appropriately restrictive.

I've seen lots of boards ruined by being overrun by hot button topics such as religion, politics, the meat eaters vs. the vegans and a whole host of other us vs. them conflicts. Perhaps this board can have recognized Problem Post categories that could be triggered so The Fool can help with some of the filtering.

If I can be permitted to make some suggestions, these are a few of the things I would consider inappropriate for a board focused on how to achieve ER dreams.

1. Politics. (refer to Political Asylum)
2. Indepth mathematical analysis of ER. (refer to REHP)
3. Tax law and tax policy. (refer to REHP)
4. Bragging about investment strategies. (Refer to Bears vs. Bulls)
5. Personal stock lists. (who cares?)
6. Discussing corporate mentality.

One last thing, all the references to the Tropics and opening bars gave me the impression that one such as myself who has no interest in the Tropics or the headaches of owning a bar would not be welcome here. I hope this is not the case. I'm no parrothead (I'm closer to being a deadhead (no Al Gore comments please)), but I do like Jimmy's music and I have blown out a flipflop by stepping on a poptop. :-)

I have acheived my ER dream and if the responses to this post show sufficient tolerance for people who normally won't go below 35 degrees North latitiude, I'll share my secrets.

1HappyFool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement