Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: abbotson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 26  
Subject: Still looking? Date: 7/21/2000 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you want some nitty gritty employee feelings about how the company is being managed, no leadership there, go to http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=YRK&d=1d and select msgs. The company needs leadership to pull the stock up and the company to gain credibility.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JDMilroy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 26
Subject: Re: Still looking? Date: 7/26/2000 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am ready to forgive and forget past lapses in judgement. The former CEO's departure must mean that leadership is now undergoing change. I say let the earnings reports determine what the new regime can do.

In response to an earlier post, I determine valuation on a "value" stock the same way I determine fair price on investment property. Look at the earnings and determine if you could purchase the entire concern lock, stock, and barrel -- and still making an average or better than average economic profit after paying the "mortgage". Debt load is a variable but payments are factored out in determining earnings -- so I believe all you have to do is look at the PE ratio of a given "value" stock and compare it to a benchmark that you are comfortable with.

Since investment property PEs average out to 12:1 in my metropolitan area -- that is my benchmark. You can also use the running S&P 500 "basket" PE average. Splits (Growth) and dividends are gravy.

Author: abbotson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 26
Subject: Re: Still looking? Date: 8/7/2000 1:37 PM
York has some serious engineering problems. The UPG products need new designs to replace some of the 10 to 30 year old products as quickly as possible. UPG has to meet new energy requirements that go into effect Oct. 2001 and are way behind in developing and upgrading products. The engineering department is losing their top designers and enginneers because of poor salaries compared to other industries. As for leadership, there is none. They need to get rid of the deadwood in middle management and employees to spend the money on top leaders, engineers and engineering support. York has become the laughing stock in salaries to "make the stockholders happy".

You can calulate and believe in the stock numbers all you want because York does all it can to look good for stockholders. Until York holds on to some profits to invest in captal equipment impovements, they will be lack luster in performance. The company needs to invest in the long term and not the short term for get rich quick investers.

Author: JDMilroy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 26
Subject: Re: Still looking? Date: 8/16/2000 8:35 PM
Would you rather buy a mint "57" Tbird - or - a 2000 Cavalier?

"Value engineering" has its downside.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement