No. of Recommendations: 41
stillwater9999 analyzes,

There is a role for government but historically NIH research has yielded far less than privately funded drug development.

That's the first I've heard of this and I've been a Pharma investor for 30 years.

Big Pharam excels in reverse-engineering patents and developing "me-too" products in therapeutic classes where there are effective existing drugs. But the NIH and university labs are more likely to find innovative therapies, because that's where they focus their research. The NIH isn't spending its time trying to work around a competitor's patent to bring out the 7th "me-too" high blood pressure med that's only slightly different from the other 6 on the market and no more effective.

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/11/04/where_drugs_...

And now to innovation - 118 of the drugs during this period were considered to have scientific novelty (46%), and of those:

44% were from pharmaceutical companies.
25% were from biotech companies, and
31% were from universities (transferred to either biotech or pharma).

The university-derived drugs clearly outperform in this category. What this also means is that 65% of the pharma-derived drugs get classed as "not innovative", and that's worth another post all its own. Now, not all the university-derived drugs showed up as novel, either - but when you look closer, it turns out that the majority of the novel stuff from universities gets taken up by biotech companies rather than by pharma.

So why does this happen? This paper doesn't put it one word, but I will: money. It turns out that the novel therapies are disproportionately orphan drugs (which makes sense), and although there are a few orphan-drug blockbusters, most of them have lower sales. And indeed, the university-to-pharma drugs tend to have much higher sales than the university-to-biotech ones. The bigger drug companies are (as you'd expect) evaluating compounds on the basis of their commercial potential, which means what they can add to their existing portfolio. On the other hand, if you have no portfolio (or have only a small one) than any commercial prospect is worth a look. One hundred million dollars a year in revenue would be welcome news for a small company's first drug to market, whereas Pfizer wouldn't even notice it.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement