Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I understand that I can give a gift of appreciated stock
to someone with a lower tax rate and the gain on the
stock will be taxed at the receiver's lower rate. Assuming
that this is correct, I have a couple of questions:

- To get the long term capital gain, does the receiver have
to hold the stock for 18 months even though I have
already held it for more than 18 months?
- If the person gives me any gifts during the year that I
have given the stock, will that gift in any way jeapordize
the tax advantage of the stock which I gave to begin
with? (I asked a similar question before but this one
puts the question in context -- specifically, I want to
give stock to my mother who is in a much lower tax
bracket. I am trying to ensure that any gifts she gives
to me during the same year do not have tax ramifications.)

Thank you,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.