UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: comicfreak52 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27818  
Subject: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 12:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
could anyone tell me what the advantage is of requesting your stock certificates after you have accumulated a nice round number (say 100).i have come across this several times in the books i have read but they never go into detail.why not leave them with your transfer agent for safe keeping??
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rock96 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20914 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
could anyone tell me what the advantage is of requesting your stock certificates after you have accumulated a nice round number (say 100).i have come across this several times in the books i have read but they never go into detail.why not leave them with your transfer agent for safe keeping??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is a personal preference. I have mine in a frame on a wall in my office. It is just something that I like to have. This is just for DRIPing though, and I only have the one share in my name.

Long story short
I would say personal preference.

Chad out

Author: 2Serious4Foolish Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20917 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 1:09 PM
Its not so much whether or not to request them, but the hassles you must undergo if they are lost/misplaced/whatever-usually at least $15 fee and lots of medallion signature guarantees ... a real drag

Irina

PS-Thats why even if I just have one share, I send it into co for safekeeping [if co does that]

Author: azriel One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20921 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 2:32 PM
why not leave them with your transfer agent for safe keeping??

Depends what you consider safe. While all of my stocks are held in street name at brokerages or are being safekeepered in DRiP plans, I am planning to obtain the certificates for a few stocks that I really plan to hold for the very long term.

After the atrocity at the World Trade Center, most firms were able to get up and running again quickly. But a couple of bond trading firms were having trouble locating the backup data for their most recent transactions. (Please don't ask for specifics, I didn't memorize all the details when I read the news items on Yahoo.)

When you have the certificates, you actually own the stock. When you don't have them, you own ones and zeros in someone else's computer. In my opinion. Of course the counter argument is that it's the same with bank accounts, nothing has ever gone wrong therefore nothing can ever go wrong, etc - the usual polyanna stuff.

Author: OperaBob Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20924 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 3:22 PM
The "100" certificate figure is what is known to most brokers as a "round" or "board" lot.

Brokers in the past liked to trade in board lots. If you watch the stock channels you'll see trades like 100 ABC or 23,000 of XYZ, etc. It is very rare to see 13DEF or 42MNO.

There is the belief for some that round lots are easier to trade and command a slightly better price.

With the proliferation of discount brokers this doesn't seem as important today.

Another reason to take possession of the "100 certificates" is it increases your options. Virtually all US DRIPs allow you to sell your shares through the PLAN. However, this means you have to write the Co. to indicate "sell" and then wait for the next sell date (which could be a ways off) and then wait for the cheque to arrive.

Having possession of the share certificates still leaves them registered in the DRIP. However, if you need to sell quickly you have the option of taking the certificates to a broker and registering the in "street name". This action deregisters the shares from the DRIP but allows you to sell more quickly and receive your money more quickly.

OB

Author: GLSmyth Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20930 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 6:06 PM
could anyone tell me what the advantage is of requesting your stock certificates after you have accumulated a nice round number (say 100).

I can't think of any advantage, except that you get to have the opportunity to lost the certificate (yup, I've been there, and although I did get it replaced, it was a bit of a hassle). I also don't know of anything magical that happens when the century mark is hit. There was a time when "round lots" were necessary, but those days are long gone.

Cheers-

george

Author: myadidas Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20937 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 10/4/2001 10:39 PM
Recommendations: 16
could anyone tell me what the advantage is of requesting your stock certificates after you have accumulated a nice round number (say 100).

More pressure for your sock puppets when they try to see how many times they can fold the certificate in half.

myadidas

Author: MasterQi Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21590 of 27818
Subject: Re: stock certificates Date: 11/20/2001 7:40 PM

There is no way I would request a cert for 100 shares...too dangerous.
Maybe for 1 share if what you want is a nice record of your ownership to frame on the wall.

Fool on,
MasterQi

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement