Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: EdSouth One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121426  
Subject: Stock Conversion Date: 5/25/1999 8:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We covered this issue in Intermediate Accounting, but that was too many years ago:

I had 5 shares of ICN Pharmaceuticals, purchased in 1974 and filed away, forgotten. Cleaning out the files recently, I stumbled over them, said a few choice words, and shipped them off to my broker to be put into my trading account.

Somewhere along the line, ICN reorganized/merged and a new issue of stock replaced what I had. I now have 3 shares of "new" ICN and $17.65 cash.

If I remember right, my basis for the 3 shares is original cost - $17.65, and the reference date is the date of original purchase.

Or...help!!!
EdSouth
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15716 of 121426
Subject: Re: Stock Conversion Date: 5/25/1999 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
[[I had 5 shares of ICN Pharmaceuticals, purchased in 1974 and filed away,
forgotten. Cleaning out the files recently, I stumbled over them, said a few choice
words, and shipped them off to my broker to be put into my trading account.]]

Great...just like finding money!!!

[[ Somewhere along the line, ICN reorganized/merged and a new issue of stock
replaced what I had. I now have 3 shares of "new" ICN and $17.65 cash.

If I remember right, my basis for the 3 shares is original cost - $17.65, and the
reference date is the date of original purchase.]]

The reference date for short/long term holding is certainly the date of the original purchase. Your remaining basis in the "new" shares may or may not be as you computed.

Remember that you'll have to spread your total original basis over all of the shares in order to account for the "partial" shares that were sold (how you arrived at the $17.65). So the computation may be a bit more complicated, and it is very likely that the ONLY way that you'll be able to find the exact correct computation would be to deal with the company directly in order to get the "formula" that you need to correctly allocate your entire basis over ALL of the shares.

I have a series of posts regarding stock splits, spin offs, and split ups that you may be interested in. You can find it in the Taxes FAQ area. It may help you understand your problem and also assist you with a solution.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Don't be the LAST one on your block to own this masterpiece, since it's sellin' fast. Remember: It's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link (http://www.foolmart.com/market/product.asp?pfid=MF+013+I) to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on http://www.irs.ustreas.gov to go directly there.

Author: EdSouth One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15722 of 121426
Subject: Re: Stock Conversion Date: 5/26/1999 6:53 AM
Thanks, Roy.

...it is very likely that the ONLY way that you'll be able to find the exact correct computation would be to deal with the company directly in order to get the "formula"...

I was afraid of that.

Well, off to the websites!

EdSouth

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement