Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: armyman05 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19379  
Subject: Stock Fund Index Investments Date: 7/27/1999 10:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been making monthly contributions to my (TSA) in the amount of approximately $300.00 per month. I have a current 19% rate of return. I feel this is good-can others provide any other options or even your comments.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 676 of 19379
Subject: Re: Stock Fund Index Investments Date: 7/27/1999 10:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
A 19% return in an index fund is quite good. In a good year they can go up to about 30%, but 20s is typical.

You can conceivable get higher returns if you are willing to take higher risk. Technology stocks, internet funds, and life sciences or pharmaceuticals have done better. Janus 20 did 70% last year. Some internet stocks have been able to triple in short time frames. But I would think an index fund is already fairly aggressive for a retiree. So you would want to put no more than a portion of your portfolio in the go-go opportunities.

Good luck to you.

Author: armyman05 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 678 of 19379
Subject: Re: Stock Fund Index Investments Date: 8/9/1999 8:55 PM
Since 5-30-99, my stock fund (AGSPC) has shown a down trend but for the 1 year period its at 23.37%. 5 Year is 26.35. 10 year 17.02 and since inception 04/20/1987 14.71%. Unit values reflects the down trend of course. My question is "AGSPC MDCP INDX" has shown unit values slightly more that the AGSPC stock index-should i consider moving a portion into this Midcap index fund or leave it where it is? In the 1 year analysis, AGSPC is is more than 5% than the AGSP MDCP index and 6% more than the MDCP index. Statistically, it appears that i'm where i should be to maximize my Stock Fund Index Investments. Any comments or suggestions?

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 680 of 19379
Subject: Re: Stock Fund Index Investments Date: 8/10/1999 10:58 AM
Armyman's question is a toughie. Rising interest rates means we are in for a rough spell in stock investing and index funds. However, the best course is usually to stick it out and wait for recovery--unless you are convinced that your fund is not behaving as it should.

If you thought the downturn were going to be for the longterm, you would be best off to move your funds to money markets, wait for the crash and then get back in. The problem is most of us cannot predict the market that well. For every successfull prediction, there are 10 doomsayers who prove to be incorrect. So most of us close our eyes, rest easy and try not to think about it. Eventually it will be OK.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement