Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

An elderly,wealthy relative plans to give my wife “$10,000" in General Electric stock before the end of the year. (She is slowly reducing her estate).

She wants to know us to tell her how she can do this (or how we want it done). For example, do we want to set up a broker account with her broker (Schwab)and then have the stock transfered to her, or do we simply ask her to liquidate it and receive the cash?

In any event, I'm worried about the tax consequences of my wife receiving the stock and then liquidating it herself some time later.

How do you think we should ask for this stock? I welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.